Practically Shooting

Tracking S&W's Warranty Repair

BarryinIN

I rarely use factory warranty repair. I can think of three times since maybe 1980. If something breaks, its usually easier to get a $10 part and replace it when cleaning the gun.

But I have a S&W 1911 (a Gunsite Scandium Commander) with plunger tube trouble. The safety felt funny and sure enough the aft leg of the plunger tube had a loose stake. I've had loose plunger tubes before, and the looseness progressed slowly, if at all, so I knew I had time to borrow a staking tool, which is one tool I don't have. Not this one. Pretty soon the aft leg was broke and the front leg was loose. Now I have to replace it and it's winter when I won't be at matches to borrow a staking tool from someone.

So I decided to see how the warranty service worked out.

I emailed S&W per the instructions on their website.

Oddly it took a week to get an answer, but that reply had a FedEx shipping label to print.

After some messing around finding a cardboard box that the factory plastic box fit well (FedEx has one that's close), I shipped it on Thursday Feb 16.

They sent a letter confirming receipt that I received on Friday Feb 24. It was not dated, but was postmarked Feb 21. They estimated 2-3 weeks.

Late last night, the 27th, I got an email from FedEx saying I had a package coming from S&W. Due to arrive the 29th. If it does come back then, it will be a 13 day trip. Not bad.

I just got an automated phone call from FedEx advising me of the delivery window and that a signature of someone over 21 was required. I think it's safe to say it is the gun, and not them sending back the broken plunger tube smile

I forgot to point out that, thanks to my stupid timing, those 13 days encompassed two weekends, one of which was a holiday weekend for some (President's Day).

Knock off four or five days there, plus a couple of days each way shipping time, and they probably only had it maybe five days tops. Probably less. And from what I've seen from my own employment, getting an item from Receiving to Repair probably took a day.

They used to give priority to LE guns, and I imagine they still do.

That time might have seemed longer if that was the only gun I had to carry, but it isn't. Still, even if it had been, waiting would beat having a broken gun. I spent longer than that deciding what to do with it.

I would have sent it a long time ago had I really understood how easy it would be.

It's here.

Letter says:

Replaced spring plate assy

Range tested/meets spec

I guess to S&W, the plunger tube is a "spring plate assy".

Also was a thank you, a pleasure serving you note, and a toll free number direct to the service dept if I have any questions.

I'm happy, pleased, and satisfied.

I will report if the tube loosens again though.

That's not bad.

I've got such a terrible taste in my mouth from my S&W .380Bodyguard it will be a LONG time before I buy anything new from them. How they could let such a deficient design out in the public boggles the mind.

Their 1911's are problematic in my book as well.

Used S&W revolver? Sure.

S&W has a range of interests for me. Some I don't care about at all, and others I like a lot.

The 380 Bodyguard, the polymer Bodyguard revolver, or the Governor do nothing for me.

Others I think are OK, like the 1911s. I have just the one, and it's OK but nothing spectacular. I like the Scandium alloy frame material- lighter than steel but no drawbacks like feedramp wear of aluminum or polymer's flex. I keep thinking they will have a 10mm 1911 someday, but haven't seen it yet. The appearance of the 10mm 310 Night Guard revolver gave me a little hope there, but still no 10mm SW1911.

I haven't bought a new S&W revolver in at least ten years, so can't really say anything about current ones. I hate the locks, but could probably ignore it on a non-defensive carry revolver. I wish the K-frame was still around (I still want a 3" RB 13 or 65). Every now and then, the 329 (Scandium .44 Mag) gets me thinking about one- not for magnums, but as a handy .44 Spl.

I like their ARs a lot.

I can appreciate that. Their AR family does look nice. I simply refuse to give more money to a company that sold me such a defective product - especially a GUN. I rarely hold a grudge, and if we were talking about a person, I would forgive. In time, I will watch their behavior.