Practically Shooting

S&W 1911 range report

Moe

After 2 trips back to S&W for various problems, I found some time to go to the range and put some lead down the barrel.

It's a 1911 S&W, 108284. Full size, SS, adjustable rear sight and ambi safety.

The trips back to S&W was for FTF and a defective rear sight. All done under warranty and done in a timely fashion.

What a great day for me and the Smith. No FTF's, no malfuctions what so ever and great accuracy. 300 rounds of different ammo( WWB, UMC, & Federal 230gr ball) which would completely blow out the 10 ring at 15yds on the standard B-27-B target. Out of 300 rounds, I dropped 3 in the 9 ring and none in the 8 ring from 7 and 15 yards. I used three different magazines. The S&W, Wilson, and a couple of old Colt mags all worked great.

The really funny part is that all 3 brands of ammo shot to almost the exact same POI. I never touched the rear sight all day!

All in all, I am pretty happy after being somewhat frustrated with problems when I first got it. I am going to change the grips though. They are a little too course for my liking.

I really didn't want to get into the bashing of S&W, but I have to tell you I was pretty upset about the 442. By the time I got to the store I bought it from, I was somewhat calmed down by then.

I waited an extra 6 months to get that gun because I didn't want one with an internal lock. I wanted something small and light which could be easily concealed even with summer clothing.

I am rethinking my choice now......... we will see.

The M&P's are a completely different animal compared to a 1911 platform. 1911's can be very finicky, but the M&P's have Glock like reliabilty. My friend attended a shooting defence class that he used an M&P full size .45. After 1200 rounds in 2 days of high intensity training, he didn't have 1 malfuction. The same can't be said of the students that used Kimber 1911's and other 1911 platforms.

I personally like Glocks. I have a 19, 21 & a 22. These I would trust my life with. M&P's have a great track record that would be a great choice for CC. But, like I found out, flaws can happen so getting practice with you choice is very important.

Hmmm... this has me wondering, too. Now that I have my CPL (got it Saturday) I was considering the possibility of a S&W M&P compact version for CC but now... hmmm... reliability is an absolute when it comes to SD.

I opted for a SIG SP2022, .40 S&W and the optional Crimson Trace grips FWIW...