Practically Shooting

Pulled the triger on an Uberti 1873 Hombre

G-MAN

Academy had these on sale this week for $259 but the two store closest to me sold out before I could get over there. Found a dealer on Gunbroker who is selling them for $250, so a popped for one in .357.

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

What finish is that? It looks matte in the video.

Is it as well put together as the Ruger?

Nice price!

Yes, it's the matte blue finish. Uberti makes top notch reproductions with good fit and finish. Unlike the Ruger Vaquero, this is a true Colt 1873 reproduction (built from the original blueprints) and even has the Colt patent stampings on the frame.

I've had two Uberti SAA clones. I never fired either before trading for something I "had to have", but they were very different from each other quality appearing-wise. This was 10-12 years ago, and supposedly Uberti made various levels of guns depending on who they made them for (what name they were sold under) but those under their name were supposed to be at the upper end. Then I heard they shuffled everything around and pretty much make the same level guns with different finish. Who knows.

I don't think I gave less than $300 back then. I'd sure try another for what you paid.

I talked to a cowboy shooter about a year ago who shoots a pair of matte finished guns that, I think, are like your Hombre if not the very same guns. He had a couple of nicer looking ones, including a beautiful USFA like I lust after, and sold it because he wasn't using it. He said in Cowboy matches, the guns get laid on things like wooden barrels and fake fence rails so much the nicely finished guns got left home and he shot the matte ones. Made sense to me.

The Hombre arrived yesterday. I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of this gun. I'd already ordered a Wolff spring kit, but the trigger on this thing is so nice I'm only going to replace the mainspring (to reduce cocking effort)

I wasn't sure how I'd like the matte finish. It actually look much better in person. It really holds the oil when you wipe the gun down and then doesn't show fingerprints when you handle it.