Practically Shooting

Grounding reloading press?

wwillson

In the winter months I always have problems with the powder sticking to the hopper of the reloading press. I'm not sure it causes any troubles with charge consistency, but it makes you wonder about static discharge and the potential for a fireworks show.

Has anyone ever grounded a press to an earth ground like a copper rod? I'm not sure the ground wire in a home wiring system would be a good idea - put a volt meter on the ground wire in your home I don't think it's uncommon to have a slight potential.

Wayne

Never done that, but I do have a good idea. When my MEC presses would start not feeding primers from the tray consistantly, I took a dryer antistatic sheet(BOUNCE) and wiped down the plastic tray. End of problem. Try emptying your powder measure hopper and wipe it out with the dryer sheet. I would bet it works.

I was thinking of something similar a couple of days ago. Since I have a concrete floor in my basement I thought of perhaps just fastening a short length of chain to the press and let it drape on the floor, kinda like the anti-static chains they used to have dragging along on gasoline hauling trucks.

As for the hopper, since I don't have dryer sheets I found that diluted fabric softener works well too.

OT: still working on the setup of my LNL AP (but it's just about ready to go!!!). It was a bit out-of-time from the factory but it was real easy to adjust after studying the mechanism...

I talked to my neighbor, who is an electrical engineer, he said that as long as an earth ground is hooked up to the ground wire in the electrical box or conduit, then it's a good ground. Put an eye on one end on a length of wire and an alligator clamp on the other. Put the eye end behind the screw that holds the plate on the outlet and tighten. Make sure the alligator clamp is clamped on to your press where there is no paint and you're in business. I'm going to try this winter to see if the propellant stops sticking to the hopper.

Crashbox - show us some pictures when you're done with the setup!

Wayne