Practically Shooting

A different 7.62x54R platform

Pablo

I don't know that there is anything wrong with it, but as a Garand fan, if looking at a semiauto in the .30-06 class, I might look at something else. It's not my business, so I won't say what I'd look at (as a Garand fan).

But that's just my Garand fan opinion.

As a Garand fan.

http://odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

Oops a link slipped in there.

They start at $525.

Within a hundred dollars of the 7.62x54R Vepr is the CMP Special Grade. There is a lovely picture or two or three.

Love,

A Garand fan

Yes, the VEPRs are supposed to be one of the best Kalashnikov type rifles avaiable. Very well built and are very accurate in other calibers such as .308. I'm sure the 7.62x54 would be comparable, although there are fewer choices for match grade ammo unless you are making your own.

On the Garands... there are some M1 Garands coming from S. Korea this summer. Condition is unknown but the price should be decent and these will likely be available from several importers, meaning there will be some competition in the marketplace.

FYI to anyone wondering about CMP qualifications:

They require you to be a member of a CMP-affiliated club, which includes a lot of gun clubs. If, unlike Pablo, your club is not, the easiest way I know to handle it is to join the Garand Collector's Association. It counts. It costs $20 a year and includes a pretty good quarterly newsletter/magazine too.

Do they have any Carbines now? They have a hard time keeping them in stock. If they are out, that might narrow down your choice even if it's not the way you'd like.

To choose a grade, I would suggest you go to the CMP forum, poke around a little bit, and see what people are getting and how they look. The grades overlap in some areas, so the grades don't necessarily end up being split clearly and evenly. Sometimes one will be a better bargain. It changes too, so you need to see what is happening at the moment.

At one time, the Service Grade was the way to go. They were clearly nicer rifles than the Rack Grade, and so close to the higher grades it was almost foolish to pay more for anything else. Later, they had some Rack Grades that were really nice, but some little thing kept them from being Service Grades, so that was the way to go.

So it goes in waves that there is usually one grade that people feel is the best deal at the moment. I just don't know which one that is right now.

Not that you can really go wrong on any of them. For one thing, the CMP bends over backwards to make sure the customer is happy. For another, most of their grading process revolves around bore condition as determined by gauges. That is to the advantage of the buyer, since gauging doesn't tell everything, and a bore that gauges so-so can shoot really well.