Practically Shooting

Starbucks to be Boycotted Over Gun Policy

BarryinIN

I never have liked coffee. But I try to visit Starbucks when I can, because of something that happened about a year ago.

It's about to happen again. We are all about to get another reason to go.

I don't know if you remember, but about a year or so ago, Starbucks made the news because they wouldn't put up "no guns" signs. Some anti-gun groups had contacted several chain businesses, and asked them to post their stores off limits to concealed carry.

Starbucks said "no".

When these groups singled them out and petitioned them over it, Starbucks responded as they did before- by basically saying they were a business and not a political organization, therefore they wouldn't take a stand on this or anything else and to leave them the heck alone.

This was played as Starbucks being pro-gun, puppets of the NRA, and generally evil.

I didn't see it so much as them being pro-gun, but pro-leave-us-alone-to-run-our-own-business.

The anti-gun groups, being the kind souls they are, took anything less than capitulation to their "demands" as an affront. How dare Starbucks refuse us? They threatened their usual weapon- the boycott.

Starbucks said bring it on.

The boycott has been announced.

Feb 14, Valentine's Day, is the date. The reason given for the boycott is because Starbucks allows customers to bring guns and assault weapons into their stores (the boycott's words).

http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/st...-137890863.html

Some excerpts from the announcement:

WHY STARBUCKS? Currently, Starbucks allows guns and assault weapons to be openly carried in its stores (in 43 states) and concealed and carried in its stores (in 49 states).

Starbucks' compliance with the National Rifle Association's Pro-Gun Agenda was exposed in 2010 when members of the "open carry" movement began meeting in popular chains, such as California Pizza Kitchen, Peets, IKEA, Disney and Starbucks openly carrying their handguns and assault rifles. To protect their customers and employees, all of the retail chains—except for Starbucks— banned guns from being carried in their stores.

"Starbucks allowing guns to be carried in thousands of their stores significantly increases everyone's risk of being a victim of gun violence," says Elliot Fineman, CEO of the NGAC. "Open and conceal and carry are among the reasons there are 12,000 gun homicides each year in the U.S. If we had England's gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year—97% less than we have. England's gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry."

Starbucks has the legal right to ban guns but despite having been petitioned by thousands, asked at a shareholder meeting, and a direct appeal made to their Board, Starbucks clings to this policy that puts millions of Americans at risk every day and encourages the spread of guns being carried in public.

IMPACT OF STARBUCKS BOYCOTT: Fineman says, "Starbucks steadfast support of the NRA's lethal pro-gun agenda damages its 'socially conscious company' brand. Further," adds Fineman, "Monte Carlo Simulation risk analysis indicates that 90% of the time, our boycott will reduce Starbucks stock price by an amount no rational company would allow."

I hope Feb 14 is Starbucks' highest grossing day of the year.

If not the biggest day of the previous 12 months, then at least this calendar year.

I want to see a line at every Starbucks that day. Lined up out the door. I want the drive-thru to be so full, I need to fill my tank before getting in it.

If you aren't interested because you don't like coffee, or can't stand the idea of paying $5 for a cup, you've missed the point. Think about how much you would like being told how to run your business. Or who you can serve. That's the point. All Starbucks ever did was refuse to turn away one group of customers because of another group, and it's questionable if they were ever customers to begin with.

I hate coffee, but I plan on stopping at Starbucks multiple times that day. I'll be buying Mocha Frappucinos, and brownies, and whatever else I can think of.

I hope I'm waiting in long lines every time. And I'll never be happier to do so.

Not a Starbuck within a hundred miles of me so I sent em an Email in support of their stance.

This was their reply;

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

Thank you for your feedback regarding Starbucks' policy on open carry laws.

At Starbucks, we deeply respect the views of our customers and recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve. Our long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged and we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don't exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited.

As the public debate around this issue continues, we encourage customers and advocacy groups from both sides to share their input with their public officials. We are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society and believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

If you have any further questions or concerns that I was unable to address, please feel free to let me know.

Warm Regards,

Kelsey F

Customer Relations

Following the law in their respective states is good enough for me!

Bob

Wow, that's stronger than I expected. From when this started, I gathered that they were neither pro-gun or anti-gun; more of a neutral, pro-don't-involve-us kind of stance.

Maybe they decided by staying neutral they were being painted as evil pro-gunners so they might as well join in.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made my first stop there for the day.

8:58 am, so probably after the big rush, but I counted seven people at tables, four standing it waiting, and a very busy drive-thru staff.

Mocha Frappucino, Banana Walnut Bread, and Double Choc Brownie for later.

Will be back with the kids after school buying more yum yums. I will probably have to save mine for tomorrow or the next day.

I made it there twice- once alone and once with the kids. My wife probably stopped at least once.

I'm not a regular so have nothing to go on, but the last time- around 3:45- it wasn't jam packed, but I could not have gotten a table big enough for the three of us either. Between having lunch nearby and being in the area for other things, I was able to observe the drive-thru line several times throughout the day. While it was not terribly backed up or anything, I always saw a minimum of three cars in it.

I'll be watching for info for the next few days, but I think it's safe to call this boycott a failure.

Now, for something really fun...

Go look at the organizer's Facebook page. The last post has around 45 comments- and I didn't see a single one supporting them. Zero. What I saw was a bunch of people telling how many times they went to Starbucks today!

http://www.facebook.com/GunVictimsAction

Edit:

I read one article (Loudon Times), and it says the boycott organizer had "under 500 likes" at press time. I checked. I'll say they have less than 500. They have less than half of 500. The number was 242 when I looked just now.

In contrast, a Facebook page supporting it (one of many) has 22,000.

If it was simply guns/no guns, it would be one thing, and quite enough, but the underlying reason this organization called for the boycott is truly sad. Basically this organization (which I'm beginning to think is one guy) is mad because he asked Starbucks to hang up a sign saying how he wanted them to operate their business and they said "no". The fact this outraged him/them to this degree is what bugs me.

I think we'll be seeing this guy again, and doing something truly bizarre.