Practically Shooting

Browning's new A5

G-MAN

I thought I posted that a while back, but I don't see it. I saw a teaser video, but couldn't find a way to post it so I must have dropped it. This video is taking forever to load on this computer so I haven't watched it yet, but the video they had up then was like a cross between a hunting show and wrestling.

I was surprised to learn that what I had always thought of as recoil operation was "Kinematic Drive".

Actually, while I haven't seen one, I have heard the new A5 is more Benelli-like than the old A5, with a "bouncing bolt" type of operation. At the same time, I was told Benelli's patent had expired, so we could expect more from other makers.

It's good to see the humpback back, even if it isn't the old one.

But I guess it guarantees the old one won't ever be back. Sniff. Sob.

It looks like the new A5 does use a variation of Benelli's inertia recoil operating system, which is nothing like the long recoil system of the original A5.

I'd hate to think what Browning would have to charge for a "new" A5 made on the original Browning patent.

Yeah, when they quit them, they weren't cheap, but I doubt they made a huge profit on each one either. It cost so much to make, they probably cleared as much, or close, from each new Buckmark sold.

If they sold like crazy it might be one thing, but they weren't selling many A5s from what I could see. I can't remember the last brand new Auto-5 I saw pass through the local gun shop. It was sort of a victim of itself in that respect, because with decades worth of good, used, nearly indestructible, Belgian A5s on the rack for $350-450 (at the time) and a new Japanese one for double or more, the new ones weren't going to be in high demand.

I truly hate it that it's gone, but I can see why.

I will honor the design by taking a Remington M11 to an off-site Gunsite shotgun class in April.