Practically Shooting

1911 in .357 Magnum

G-MAN

I literally "almost" ordered a Coonan twice now. The one I want comes up to about $1700.

No kidding. The first time the guy misunderstood what I wanted with the black finish and the wood grips (I didn't want the Al grips). We went on for awhile and I said I'll wait.

The second time was similar and he never called me back.

Now I'm thinking 10mm.

Wow, they're $1700? You could just about get two 10mms for as much as a Coonan.

Both would give you all the power and recoil you wanted. And you could put aluminum grips on...neither!

Or get a 10mm and a .38 Super, and have some velocity in both .35 and .40 calibers.

The advantage of this to me would be that parts are a phone call away, or easier, with a 10mm or 38 Super. Just about any of the big 1911 parts or gun makers have caliber-specific parts like barrels and ejectors for either caliber and probably both. The Coonan seems to come and go, which would worry me about parts.

Not that I won't shoot a gun without a ready parts supply, but it might be a consideration for you.

Wow, they're $1700? You could just about get two 10mms for as much as a Coonan.

Both would give you all the power and recoil you wanted. And you could put aluminum grips on...neither!

Or get a 10mm and a .38 Super, and have some velocity in both .35 and .40 calibers.

Don't get too carried away - have you priced NEW 10mm 1911's lately? $1000 model is a cheapie, the .38's are rare and expensive. The base Coonan is $1249, so not so bad:

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/pistol/cPath,5/osCsid,1ef903259b9b856aa9b06cd8b9d81416

Add black Duracoat $299, adjustable night sights, etc...

OK, they've gone up. My Delta Elite had an $879 tag on it...two years ago last October.

$1700 for a Coonan sounded like a lot. That $1249 figure for a Coonan sounds more like what I'd expect. The couple that went through the shop in the late 90s were right at $800, maybe $850 (when a new Colt 1911 went from $509 to $529), so I'd expect $1249 to be about right now.