Practically Shooting

Mosin Nagant 91/30

ausfahrt

I just ordered a $79 91/30 with the round receiver. The hex receiver models were out of stock at all of the sites that I searched and I suspect that the supply of all Mosin Nagants is dwindling.

So anyway, I wanted a WWII era shooter and I think that I've now got one. I have low expectations for fit, finish and accuracy and I will post up some pics along with a noob style review after I receive it.

You'll probably be pleasantly surprised with the accruacy.

Make sure that the two action screws are tight before shooting. They are supposed to be torqued to 40 inch pounds and tend to loosen up sometimes, which will negatively affect the accuracy. Just keep them snug and check them occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I received the rifle several months ago and I apologize for the delay. Here is what I ended up with after unpacking.

I failed to include the sling in the photo and the only thing that was missing was the oil can. Ammo was a problem because I wanted to buy bulk surplus ammo and I believe that availability is becoming an issue with the 7.62x54r rounds.

After several months I received an email that the surplus ( I think that its Bulgarian) ammo was available again. I placed my order and this was on my doorstep today.....

The beer is just to give you an idea about the size of the crate because it is somewhat smaller than I thought it would be.

I was amazed by the fact that they even dovetailed shipping crates!! More to follow.

I've never seen surplus 7.62x54R that's not corrosive in Oz.

S.O.P. is jug of boiled water with a little dish-soap in it, suck water up using cleaning rod and patch like a bike pump until barrel is wet and really hot, and then let "chimney dry" before regular cleaning/oiling.

(Or pouring a "billy" of boiling water down from the chamber end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I think they're great shooters and ammo is certainly cheap enough although it is corrosive....nothing a good cleaning won't take care of.

I bought mine at Carters and they gave me a price of $59.99 each if I bought a case of twelve....naturally, I did. This was 2010.

I am a little disappointed in Richard Venola's review....he stated they kick like a mule (not!) and without the bayonet attached would shoot 12" high (another not or at least not with my rifles....I kept three and my family reaped the benefits of the others).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...