Practically Shooting

Sling Ideas?

Pablo

On the Mini and AK, if they were mine, I'd put VTAC slings on them. http://www.vikingtactics.com/slings_original.html

VTAC makes different variations of them, but I think all use the same quick adjust system. You pull a free end to shorten it up, or pull a tab to open it back out.

The Vickers sling from Blue Force Gear is similar but uses a slightly different adjustment control. It's adjustment is a little simpler and easier to adjust, but looks like it might be a little more complicated.

http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-products/vickers-combat-sling/

I have four VTACs (two regular and two padded, like them fine, and never thought the adjustment was slow at all. I have never had a Vickers sling but those who have had both usually, but not always, prefer the Vickers. Their reason is the quicker adjustment of the Vickers (but I have seen them fumbling around adjusting the VTAC because they seldom adjust it, then they get in a class and have to adjust it a lot to do various things. I think that if you use it regularly there will be little or no difference.)

If they were the same price and both right in front of me, I'd buy a Vickers, But if the Vickers cost more or I had to wait on a backorder when the VTAC was in stock, I'd get the VTAC.

For the Savage, I'd...well, first of all I need to say this:

I used to shoot NRA Highower (rifle) and like most people who shoot or used to shot Highpower, I firmly believe in using the sling as a shooting aid. I've heard all kinds of "facts" like a sling adds another 50% steadiness, but I don't know how they arrive at any figure. For one thing, it's possible to use a sling and not steady yourself any more than without one. But if used even halfway right, they will do a lot. Prone with a sling, done right, is really steady and sitting is only a little behind. I know a lot of people say you don't have time to use one when hunting, but I have seen several shots taken without using the sling when they DID have time to use it if they had only tried or known how.

So that said, I like combination carry strap/shooting slings. That rules out the the wide Cobra slings that are pretty much good only for carrying.

I like the military type, the old M1907 style that some surplus-type places sell, but it has one shortcoming. The problem is that it does take several seconds to get "looped up" in the sling to use it as a shooting aid.

The sling I like best fixes that, but you will probably not want it. It requires adding a third sling swivel, and I know a lot of people would rather take a poke in the eye. The Ching Sling (designed by the late Eric Ching) uses a center attachment swivel just forward of the magazine, to form a loop that stays open (It's appearance always reminds me of the "Tri-Y" headers from old Shelby Mustangs). http://www.shottist.com/ching.htm

There are a couple of sources for Ching Slings, but I like buying from Andy Langlios (linked above) since Eric Ching asked him to make them, plus he is a full-time LEO. He is also an all-around good guy, and has a drawing to give away a sling now and then, plus he sometimes sends along an extra goodie or two with an order.

If you don't want to add a third swivel, Andy also makes more simple carry strap type slings, or you could use one of the many M1907 military type slings.

I like the M1907 second best after Ching Slings, and use them on guns I don't want to (or can't) add a third swivel to. The Turner Saddlery ones are top notch. I would order a long one (I think 54" is standard) because I need the last/longest adjustment holes on a standard length even though I'm average to under average height.

I have a couple of M1907s from International Military Antiques and they are pretty nice although not quite as nice as a Turner and there was no length option, but they cost 1/3 as much.

I've never used one of the bungee type, and probably won't. I don't think I'd want a stretchy sling. They were popular for about a week because of the idea that you could strike with them, but I guess someone figured out the need to butt stroke came much less often than the need to sling the rifle without it bouncing around. Another supposed advantage of the bungees is being able to switch shoulders, but a correctly adjusted regular sling can allow that.

Oh yeah, some of the places selling regular type slings offer them in leather and Biothane. If you've never had Biothane before and wonder what it's like, it isn't bad. Andy Langlios sent me one to try. It's not just like leather but it's not all plastic/rubber feeling either. I put mine on a stainless/synthetic rifle for a rain resistant setup.

In our "field class" competition, single loop and tripple point slings can't be used for the rules, but a single "normal" leather sling tightens you up even off hand when you get it properly under left tricep, looped (not the right word) over the wrist, around, and back up the left hand side, sort of torniqueing your wrist somewhat.

I can't believe that people don't "have time" to even form that flippy loop with a little practice unless they are routinely shooting random running targets in the field...in competition, you can loop and grab pretty quick...tighten up

You know you've got it sort of right when you can load it single shot and still have the sights on the paper when you close the bolt...and have lost feeling in your left arm if the range officer has to sort another shooter out.