Practically Shooting

Taurus Quality

wwillson

I was talking to a sales associate at a large local retailer about Taurus firearms. He said the returns on Taurus firearms because of breakage or defects are easily 10 times more than all other makes combined. He said he tries to steer people to other makes, unless price is the only factor that motivates their purchase. I don't own any Taurus guns and now probably never will.

Wayne

My regular gun shop determines what they carry by what sells and what they don't have to fool around sending back a lot. I have noticed they carry some Taurus guns, but not the full line.

As a Sheriff friend says: "In law enforcement, we call that a clue".

They have various model 85 revolvers, some Trackers, and maybe some Pro/24-7s and PT92-types.

I never see any of the small .22 or .25 autos, the "Slim" line, titanium revolvers, or 1911s. When Taurus was selling the pump .22 rifles that most shops carried, I noticed they never had those either.

I've never owned a Taurus, but have been tempted. Come to think of it, the ones I thought about were models that I thought would be neat play guns, not models I was looking at for serious carry guns. I liked the .44 Spl and .45ACP Tracker, but they may not even be made anymore.

I have a model 607 that I bought in 1996 and two Raging Bulls in 454, that I bought in 1998, both are of excellent quality. The wife fell in love with a model 85, which I bought around 2004 and the fit and finish is certainly not up the the level of my others from the mid-late 90's.

The only Taurus product I would consider now would be one from the mid to late 90's, and likely only another Raging Bull.

Taurus have their fans. Someone brought up Taurus revolvers at the range club, wow the old timers love the things. I was kinda amazed.

I've not enough knowledge to judge too deeply. The revolvers I've fondled at the shops seem OK. But revolvers can seem fine and shoot like junk. Semi-autos I can for usually feel the slide action and dry fire for feel. I did not like how the Taurus 1911 felt, but people swear by them as good quality.

Taurus have their fans. Someone brought up Taurus revolvers at the range club, wow the old timers love the things. I was kinda amazed.

Not to pick on Taurus because I see it a lot with other brands/styles/sources/instructors/etc, but I wonder at times like this what people are comparing to. I say this because I know people who say X-brand's revolver (or whatever) is the bestest in the world when I know they have never owned any other kind and probably never shot any others either.

I can name a few people who will flatly state the Ruger 10-22 is the best of it's type, but it's the only .22 semiauto they've ever had. S&W guys who have never had a Colt revolver. How many Remington 700 fans have never owned a Winchester 70, Savage 110 series, or Ruger 77, let alone all of them? It's hard to rate something without having anything to compare it to, but that's what happens.

This is especially apparent with training. Look at big forums when someone asks about a particular training center. Read the responses carefully, and you will see praise and comments about it being the "best" or unable to be beat, then as you read further there is a comment that shows they have never been anywhere else. So what exactly are they comparing it to when they say it's the best?

At least with a gun, they might have seen another brand in use even if they didn't ever own or shoot one.

Oh well, it's the same with cars, electronics, everything.

My local store gives very good regards to Taurus. I would buy one at a good price in a heartbeat. Right now through CDNN sports you they are offering a Taurus .32acp pocket pistol for only $189!!! Im considering that one for sure. Im really into sub-compact pistols and this is something Taurus takes super seriously with soooo many models they offer. So if thats what your into Taurus is one of the few other than Kel-Tec that offer a wide range of sub-compacts.

I have five, three semi autos, and two revolvers. Four have been problem free, number five was a black friday doorbuster from Academy sports that i haven't shot yet.

I rather like the ones that are knockoffs of the open slide Beretta's - I prefer the frame mounted decocker of the Taurus.

I only got interested in guns after the last presidential election, so I have no preconceived notion or bias about any particular brand. I've even got four Hi Points that have been trouble free, not that I want to stir that pot!

I have five, three semi autos, and two revolvers. Four have been problem free, number five was a black friday doorbuster from Academy sports that i haven't shot yet.

I rather like the ones that are knockoffs of the open slide Beretta's - I prefer the frame mounted decocker of the Taurus.

I only got interested in guns after the last presidential election, so I have no preconceived notion or bias about any particular brand. I've even got four Hi Points that have been trouble free, not that I want to stir that pot!

Kudo's on liking your Hi-Points! Ive got their .45 pistol on order and Im very excited. Ive seen nothing but positive things about Hi-Points firearms. The four pistols you have from them is that one in each caliber?

.... Kudo's on liking your Hi-Points! Ive got their .45 pistol on order and Im very excited. Ive seen nothing but positive things about Hi-Points firearms. The four pistols you have from them is that one in each caliber?

I have the .45, .40, and 9 in handgun, and the 995 carbine.

I've been telling myself for the last year that the new .45 carbine is going to be my next weapon purchase, but I always seem to drag home something else. Ill probably keep that carbine here at the office when I get around to getting it.

I have the .40 handgun in my desk beside me, right now.

The .40 was the first I bought, mostly to see for myself since I had read so much negative about them, and it turned out to be a dependable tack driver. An ugly, heavy, tack driver, but still a tack driver. So after that, I picked up the carbine and the other two.

So, anyway, emboldened by the cheap Hi Points working fine, I've bought some Tauri and mine have worked fine, although I acknowledge that is not the universal experience with either brand.

Since they're not very expensive, the risk of getting a POS is not a big deal to me. If or when that happens, I'll just suck it up and move on.