Practically Shooting

Your CCW Setup

yaris0128

Just curious what and how you carry your CCW?

My set up is:

Ruger LCP/Tulammo FMJ/Blackhawk! pocket holster

Left jean pocket. Extra mag in the right coin pocket(I dont know what that extra tiny right pocket is called). A 6rd .380 mag fits in that pocket with PERFECTION and doesnt go in past the mags floor plate. Id rather carry my Kel-Tec P-11 because of the up in caliber and I shoot that with confidence versus passableish with the pocket 380. I havent had a lot of luck finding an inside the waist left handed holster for it though.

#1) Strong side IWB

Browning HiPower 9mm in copy of Sparks Summer Special I made

Two spare mags on weak side

Ammo Winchester Ranger T 127 +P+

#2) Weak side jeans pocket

Kahr PM9 Covert in pocket holster I made

One spare mag in same pocket

Ammo Winchester Ranger T 127 +P+

#3) Ankle

S&W 442 in Seventrees (Ken Null) ANK

One Bianchi Speed Strip of spare ammo in strong side jeans pocket

Ammo Remington 158 lead SWC-HP +P

Alternates:

Sometimes the #1 gun is either-

1911, 5", .45 ACP Colt or Kimber, or S&W Scandium Commander .45 ACP

CCI 230 Gold Dot in any of these

Holster is Spark Summer Special copy

Or

HK P7M8 9mm

Winchester Ranger T 127 +P+

Blade Tech IWB (most likely) or Sparks Summer Special

Yes, all three.

Lots of reasons why.

I have a back injury/condition so I don't move around very well some days. There are lots of situations during lots of days when, if carrying just one gun, I wouldn't be able to access it. I can just about guarantee that's the case for most people. Anyone reading this: As you go through the next 24 hours, stop at various points and ask yourself if you could get to your gun right now. I'm willing to bet you can come up with several times that you can't do it very easy. It's even harder when you might be stiff as a board with little range of motion.

I carry three so I can access one.

That above about accessing a gun throughout the day is hard enough if you are healthy. Odds are pretty good that if one needs a gun, it is in response already having been attacked. And if you were attacked, you might be injured before you even know what's going on. Another rhetorical question for anyone reading this: If you get whacked in the dominat arm by a baseball bat first thing, can you get your gun out? What if you simply get pushed to the ground? Land bad, and you may not be able to reach very far.

In addition to that example, an extended fistfight can end up in a grappling contest, and again here, you may not be able to reach very far.

I carry three in case my strong hand is injured.

Then there are the other reasons like malfunction insurance, defense of gun grabs, and a second gun sometimes being a faster reload. I firmly believe in the first reason, because all guns fail, every single one of them. And yes, if I'm in a struggle for my main gun, I'll try to get a hand on another. I wasn't sure I believed the "NY Reload" beating a mag change until I checked with a timer, but it was true in my case from concealment.

Another reason few consider for a spare is to have something to share. That may sound odd, but I've done it. If we are on a trip and stop for a restroom in the middle of the night, my wife and I take turns going, so someone is with the kids. I take my J-frame from the holster and leave it with her. I suppose j could imagine other situations where it might be helpful to arm a spouse or trusted friend.

Sorry for the rant, and turning this unto a BUG advocacy hijack, but I'm a big believer in BUGs (backup guns), although I prefer to think of them as alternate primaries rather than backups. And whenever I list multiple guns as carry guns, someone asks my reasons so I might as well give them now. I state this case a couple of times each year.

People are funny about BUGs. I know people who would go nuts if they couldn't put a gun on first thing in the morning, and might even miss their kid's wedding if they couldn't be armed, yet if you bring up the thought of carrying a second gun they think you're crazy. A three? Yeah right. I guess they've never had a gun malfunction, break, be inaccessible, run dry, etc before. I have.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Barry is the MAN.

I carry in a Tommy Theis concealed, with my Kahr CM9.

Open carry, 1911 (usually my Sig Target) in a Maker holster

Do you ever get any flak from the public when you open carry? I just dont have the balls to do that. Couldnt handle the looks.

I only do it on my property, or friends, or at a gathering of such nuts, east side of the mountains and such - we had an open carry meet up at Starbucks in Duvall once. Oh I know the "look".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a professional person, so if I can't carry it in my pocket, it does not get carried.

I typically carry one of the following, in a pocket holster, usually a De Santis Nemisis:

Walther PPK in .32 ( my favorite )

Sig P238

Beretta Tomcat

Beretta Bobcat

Ruger LCR ( my 2nd favorite, although I don't really care much for Ruger guns).

Can't open carry in Arkansas unless you're on your own property, but I don't do that.

Typically a Glk 26 in a Glock belt hoster and mag holder and cuffs (we are requried to carry off duty). Summer is a fanny pack (due to shorts, etc.)

How does the 26 stack up against other sub-compact 9's? Ive been very interested in buying a 26 for a long time. Ive got a Kel-Tec PF-9 and P-11 but I just love a Glock and I know the finish wont be rusted up quick like on a Kel-Tec blued finish...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The Glock 26 is a serious high cap 9mm. And it's way too large for any pocket carry,
Well how about for inside the waist? Compared to something like a single stack compact like the PF-9?

It may be OK for IWB. A little chubby, but with the right holster and body it would be a good carry weapon.

Just as an adder to this thread, I stumbled across this:

http://www.crossbreedseconds.com/index.php?sort=code&order=0

Tommy Theis is my fav, but I just found and ordered a Crossbreed 1911 Supertuck second for $43 delivered. It's kinda freaky because they only take cash shocked

One might think the 26's smaller grip would make things easier, since that's the part that sticks out. I didn't find it made any difference. I could conceal the 19 just as well and it was no more uncomfortable to carry. Going from 19 or 23 to a 17/22 size Glock was a lot bigger deal to me than going from 26/27 to the 19/23.

I was never really that happy carrying Glocks IWB because of the square slide shape, but some were better than others.