Practically Shooting

Experiment on Taping Muzzles

BarryinIN

With hunting season underway, I was reminded of this:

I have long heard of the practice of putting a square or strip of tape across a rifle's muzzle to prevent snow, water, or other foreign matter from entering when tromping around in the woods. While listening to some friends' hunting tales today, I remembered this experiment I started last winter...and never finished.

I posted it elsewhere then, but thought I'd put it up here too.

Recently at the gun shop, the subject of taping rifle muzzles (to prevent the entrance of snow, dirt, etc) came up. Soon it became a debate whether it would alter the point of impact. Like many things, everybody had an opinion although nobody had tested it.

On my last range visit, I happened to remember that debate and tried it out. I had two types of tape with me: a roll of electrical tape I keep in the truck, and a partial roll of 3M blue painter's tape in my range gear. Bringing that specific 3M tape was unplanned, but I vaguely recall reading once that Alaskan guides recommend that very brand and type for the purpose, though I don't recall why.

When I did this, I was actually on vacation in another state and using a range there, so had to make do with what I had with me. I had no rest fixture or sandbags with me, so I cobbled together a front rest using my range bag, and went without a rear bag.

I only tested FMJ practice ammo. I wondered if soft points would give a different result, but I didn't want to use up what little soft point ammo I had with me, and I've not seen that tip damage changed the POI at this range before.

The rifle used was a Steyr Scout in .308 Winchester.

I shot at 100 yards.

When tape was applied, it was one strip, approximately 2.5 inches long, centered over the muzzle (horizontally if viewed from the front) then folded back down the barrel. Obviously, I replaced the tape after each shot.

I fired:

Three rounds with no tape.

Three rounds with 3M blue painter's tape.

Three rounds with black plastic electrical tape.

I shot them into one group. If there was a big shift in POI, I thought it would be obvious and separate targets unnecessary. If the change was slight, then I'd get more serious and repeat the test using separate targets for each group.

Here is what I got:

Point of aim was 6:00 on the plate. That's not the most precise aiming point with crosshairs, but since the rifle was zeroed high (2" high from prone), I wanted to aim low to ensure the group fell in the plate.

The three shots high and right were shot with the black electrical tape on the muzzle.

The other six were three shots without tape, and three with 3M blue tape. The one shot to the left was my error and I knew it when it happened. Considering the wiggly rest, I'll consider those shots all in the same group.

So from what I could see in this small test:

3M blue painter's tape has negligible effect on POI, if any.

Black electrical tape might.

However...

Even if black electrical tape does alter POI, it is not by a whole lot. A couple of inches maybe. If that was the only tape I had when having to wade through snow, I'd use it rather than risk plugging the muzzle by using nothing.

I noticed the tape reacted differently. When using 3M blue tape, the bullet made a neat cookie cutter-like hole about the size of the muzzle, otherwise the tape stayed in place. I actually found a couple of blue discs of tape on the ground in front of the bench.

When using the black electrical tape, it was severed and thrown off the muzzle so it curled back along the barrel.

Those pictures are typical. Every shot looked about the same. Whether that had any connection with the POI difference or not, I don't know, but it was obvious the two tape types reacted differently.

I should repeat the test with a steadier rest, using more ammo types, and maybe by orienting the tape different ways, but for now, I'll start keeping a few wraps on 3M tape on the barrels of my "usin' rifles". If I need it, I'll have it.

And I won't worry about POI changes from it.

Black plastic electrical tape would have been my first choice before, because I'd expect it to be more water resistant. Until I do more testing, I'll go with the blue stuff even if it isn't as durable. If I keep a few wraps around the barrel, I can replace it if it gets damaged. I suppose even if it got soaked, it would still stop big stuff from getting in.

The blue stuff is more malleable than the elec tape I had, so I could get a better seal. That should be a plus.

I'll try to get some better quality elec tape for the next try. That roll I had was probably dollar store junk. Maybe it will matter, maybe it won't.

At work, we had a really moldable tape that we used to seal off pneumatic ducts on the planes when a component was removed. I wish I'd accidentally left some of it in my coat pocket one day, because I'd like to try it for this. Maybe I'll check around with some who are still there and see if they forgot any in their pockets.

I would expect electricians tape to have an effect. Sticky, gooey and stretchy.

I dunno, I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this. I guess with most tapes not a big deal, but with a little care it's not needed and I've hunted with shotguns in the rain.

The tape is blown away by before the bullet leaves the barrel, and I only use it on my muzzle loaders to help keep the powder charge dry, never used any tape on a cartridge gun.