Practically Shooting

Corrosion inhibitor experiment

All,

I'm going to do a test of CorrosionX and a corrosion/lube created by an acquaintance. I think it's pretty well understood that a metal plate that is exposed to the elements outside certainly isn't the same as guns locked in a safe.

My plans is to take a picture every 7 days until I decide to end the experiment. It should be interesting if nothing else..

After week 1:

After week 2:

Is that plain steel? What is the size of the disc? What is the mottled appearance?

I've done some similar tests on smaller panels. Looks like fun. Thanks for taking photos!!

Pablo,

It's a 10" sheet steel cutout from a factory back home in Iowa. We have used dozens of these for gong targets both close and long range. They make a beautiful ringing sound when hit with a rifle bullet at 400 yards!

I shined it up with a wire wheel on my side-grinder to remove any rust from the surface. The mottled appearance is the rust just starting to form on the bare 1/3rd. We've had lots of rain the last couple days, so I expect changes by picture time this Saturday.

Wayne

I clearly see the rust, but what is the mottling on the "test formula" side? Is that the coating?

I see what you're asking. The test formula has a much thinner viscosity, so I suspect it may not be able protect as well in these conditions. I think it's a slight discoloration from the beginnings of rust.

Wayne

I kinda like Lucas gun oil. I bought a bottle on a whim because I wanted another small bottle of oil to leave in my range stuff, and it was significantly cheaper than others on the store shelf. It's not my favorite but for nearly half the money it's fine.

My biggest gripe is the red color than can stain clothes if used on a concealed carry gun.

Below is the photo from week 2. We've had lots of rain here lately, of which you can see the results. I think I'll stop here, but ask all of you what would be a more realistic test? Having this much rust after only two weeks certainly shows the power of lots of moisture. Does anyone think I should keep the experiment going as is?

Maybe I should shine the plate up again and try a bit less harsh environment? Any ideas where? Maybe in the house in a purposely humid environment?

Wayne

Maybe repeat it in the garage? I gather a lot of people keep guns out there, based on the number I've seen come out of garages over the years. It may be a harsher environment than they realize, with exposure to the moisture of outside air and varying temps every time the door is opened, so maybe a test would illustrate that.

Maybe a plate in the house and one in the garage to show how much worse it is (I'd think) in the garage?