Practically Shooting

RemOil enough lubrication for the slide on a 1911?

As the subject says, I use Rem Oil as the lube on the slide and all other parts of my 1911's. I have a Kimber Custom that is about 18 months old and has fired about 10,000 rounds. There is some wear on the contact points of the slide and frame. Rem Oil is very low viscosity and some of my shooting friends use a much more viscous oil on their guns. I am wondering if Rem Oil is enough lubrication when the guns are cleaned and re-lubed about every 500 rounds?

Wayne

• 1 month later...

What I've been using on the rails of both my P95 and 1911 is Royal Purple's Maxfilm. This stuff really clings but is very low viscosity. After 100 rounds the slide and rails were still "wet."

I like Ed Brown's philosophy of lubricating the 1911: Use oil, and be liberal with it. I know some people prefer grease on the slide rails, but I think that's what contributed to a couple of stove pipes on my 1911 the day I qualified for the CWP because it was so cold and the grease was so thick.

• 2 weeks later...

On my recent trip to Nebraska I was donated a bottle of "Marvel Gun Oil" by Mr. Bob Marvel. It's his personal pick of several compounds in a mineral spirits (kerosene) carrier. A few minutes after use rails appear totally dry. Good for 5,000 plus rounds before re-lube.

Bob

Can "Marvel Gun Oil" be purchased by the public?

Wayne

My former employer used around 7,000 S&W M4006's, a similar number of Remington 870's, and a few hundred Mini-14's and AR's in a state with a broad range of climatic conditions. For a couple of decades at least, the only substance allowed on any departmental firearm was BreakFree CLP. In one particular training course we were required to fire 1,260 rounds of WW Ranger LE 165 grain .40 in two range days in brand new, unfired 4006's lubed with BreakFree CLP and cleaned every 250-300 rounds. The number of failures were very few and very far between...almost none really. I had none in the 2,000+ rounds I fired in my pistol before I retired, using Break Free exclusively.

So while I'm sure there is more advanced stuff out there now, I don't see how the average shooter can go wrong with a body of usage that broad. No offense, but I have never considered RemOil to be a good enough lubricant for any of my guns. But that, I realize, is a personal choice.

I'm now in the Mobil 1 camp for my auto pistols and AR's, but I'm not firing large amounts of ammo any more either.

JP

• 6 months later...

Ruger has a video of a tutorial for cleaning their P95. He specifically mentions the use of grease on the underside of the slide.

the video

http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html#

I've contacted them several times and in their emails they say just just an oil. FWIW they said RemOil was fine but said Breakfree may discolor the polymer frame. I'm not sure but I think they may not be referring to the CLP but the powder blast solvent, as I've read reports of it discoloring.

email

"Comment / question: Hey I have a blued P95 with a polymer frame and wondering what cleaners and oils to use on the gun.. Now, I dont plan to get anything on the frame but accidents do happen, so I will need a polymer safe cleaner/oil. I have tried contacting companies but is hard to do. Hoppe's, RemOil and Breakfree CLP are all available locally to me. Would these cause any problems if they come in contact with the polymer frame? thanks againJoseph Response: The Hoppes and RemOil should work fine on the gun but would not recommend the use of the Breakfree, it may discolor the frame. If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at: