Practically Shooting

Kahr CM9

Pablo

Bought a Kahr CM9 this AM. It's a lower cost brother to the PM9.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

Plus I faxed in the form to get another mag, no charge.

Anyway, I needed something I could carry concealed and finally decided on a 9. The gun is well built and quite a bit smaller than the Ruger LC9. Feels great in my hand and as a decent bonus the trigger pull is great.

Cool. I have a PM9 Covert and love it. I never thought I'd not carry a J-frame in my pocket but the Kahr has been there for the past several years. I can shoot the Kahr a lot easier/better than any of the J-frames I've had.

Just an FYI- Be forewarned that the top round easily departs the magazine, so if you carry a spare mag loose in your pocket you can expect to find an empty mag and a bunch of loose rounds in your pocket. Even a simple pouch of some sort prevents it.

I WAS worried about the DAO trigger pull, but it's smooth, consistent and not near as strong as I feared. Nothing like a DA revolver or the Ruger LC9. It's rather long though - wouldn't it be cool if the first round was DA then the rest SA like a Sig with a decocker.

Anyway, a solid very small 9mm pistol.

Do you know if you can fire +P in the PM an CM 9?

From the Q&A page:

Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A. Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr cautions against the use of reloads. Lead (unjacketed) bullets can cause excessive fouling and extra attention to cleaning the bore is recommended after firing lead bullets. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.

I have been rumored to carry Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ in mine. According to this rumor, the thought is the +P+ might do harm long term, but as I feel it is the best performing 9mm ammo, which would be more important if actually needed than any worries over rounding the barrel locking surfaces, etc, and surely the gun would survive a magazine full (because it's survived more than that already).

Or so the rumor goes.

Allegedly.

Funny how everybody, and I mean everybody, comments about how the trigger pull is long. I think it feels shorter than a DA revolver or DA or DAO auto.

Funny how everybody, and I mean everybody, comments about how the trigger pull is long. I think it feels shorter than a DA revolver or DA or DAO auto.

I agree actually. I meant long vs. a SA. It's a shorter pull than any DA I've fired. I think it seems long because of relative size of the pistol.

Thanks for the info!

That must be what people mean, because the pull distance is shorter than any DA I have tried except maybe the little bitty Beretta 21A. The trigger location feels like it is farther aft than normal, so that may make the pull feel strange to people too, maybe like it is on a more SA starting point.

Originally Posted By: BarryinIN

I agree actually. I meant long vs. a SA. It's a shorter pull than any DA I've fired. I think it seems long because of relative size of the pistol.

Thanks for the info!

IMO,there is no way this trigger can be compared favorably to the trigger on a DA revolver. I think Pablo may be right though, perhaps it is simply the trigger take up relative to the size of the pistol makes it seem longer than it really is?

Maybe mine is unusual. There was a gap of a couple years between my MK9 and my current PM9 so I don't know if their triggers were similar or different.

I'd rather have my PM9's trigger pull than any J-frame's trigger I've had. But it obviously can't match a k-frame trigger.

It's hard to describe, but I guess it's like a J-frame DA pull, but shorter and without the "hitch" at about 80% travel. It's pretty consistent all the way through the travel, which I like.

I practice carried a bit today in my Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. Nothing official, I wanted to feel it on my pocket. I have relatively loose jeans (I just dropped 10 pounds). Prints a bit, but in the holster just looks like something square. I'll shoot it on Friday.

I carry a Surefire light in the pocket with mine. If thats too much for the pocket space, a spare mag gets carried on the outside of the gun. Breaks up the flat square shape some, and the mag resembles a lighter if anything.

But usually I just give people the Stop Looking At My Crotch Death Stare (SLAMCDS).

I shot 200+ rounds through today, using three magazines. I had zero issues. It took some getting used to. It shoots quite accurately - but I can see how trigger pull could mess up the aim very easily if you aren't well practiced with the gun.

By buddy shot it and on the second mag he had a jam. Cleared it - I think he didn't have the mag fully seated. I'm watching it.....

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a Kahr CM9 this AM. It's a lower cost brother to the PM9.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

Plus I faxed in the form to get another mag, no charge.

Anyway, I needed something I could carry concealed and finally decided on a 9. The gun is well built and quite a bit smaller than the Ruger LC9. Feels great in my hand and as a decent bonus the trigger pull is great.

What is the difference between the CM9 and PM9? Aside from price...

• 2 weeks later...

I've carried this baby almost every day and now have shot 400 rounds. It glitched exactly twice for me. Both with the extended magazine. The round somehow canted in the mag and didn't feed. I'm watching this magazine. I did receive the free extended mag yesterday, so I'll see how it goes.

When I carry, I use the regular mags, and those have no issues. So I'm not too worried. If the original extended mag carries on in such a manner it goes back to heaven for rework.