Practically Shooting

A Springfield Long Slide & A Range Officer

billt

I picked up this pair at a local shop here in town that carries some nice stuff. I've had my eye out for a Long Slide Springfield for some time, and Scottsdale Gun Club has them on their web site, but almost never in stock. Springfield doesn't produce a lot of them, and they tend to go fast when they come in.

This gun points beautifully, and the fit and finish is superb. The gun has a nice thick, bull barrel on it which is considerably thicker than other models. It also comes with a ambi safety, and nice adjustable target sights. He had just gotten the Range Officer Model in, and it was the first one I'd ever seen. I had read a few write ups about it, and the gun has been very well received. Anyway we got to haggling, and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so both left with me.

I think Springfield makes some of the nicest 1911's out there, and these 2 are really nice. I'll get both of them cranked up later this week. I still got to get to the range with the 2 Mini 14's. Most likely that will be tomorrow.

Wow and wow again. I did not know Springfield made a Long Slide!! That may just be my next 1911. Can I ask how much in US$?

Springfield makes very few of them. I picked up this one for $1,044.00. A lot of places advertise them for less, but they never seem to have them in stock. I've had my eye out for one for a while with no success, then this one turned up at a local shop I've done business with before. They are good to deal with, and their prices I have always found to be fair.

One local gun shop is the best-stocked around and they might get two long slide Springfields in a good year. So yes, I'd say they must not make many. Over the years, SA has made the long slide in both ported (V-16 I think) and non-ported versions. I would rather have non-ported, but only remember seeing one of those ever. Whether they are less common or that's how he orders, I don't know.

Pretty cool in a "ya ever see this" kind if way.

If you look real hard, you might find a 30-year old Laser Devices laser that's a foot long, mount it, and play Terminator!

The Range Officer is supposed to be a pretty neat gun.

The Range Officer is supposed to be a pretty neat gun.

The Range Officer was not a "planned purchase". I have read many reviews on it, most all of which were favorable. I had never seen one or handled it however. He had this one and the gun just "felt right". I'm partial to Springfield 1911's so the decision to purchase it as well was not too difficult. It was an expensive day, but the pain of spending the money doesn't last. The joy of owning them does.

That is a SWEET price. Compare to the used older long slides from various manufacturers. Some of those are collector guns, I guess, but they always need something just to shoot right. There is a guy at the local gun show with an AMT. I think he started over $1500, now he's down below $1000 and the gun is a beater.

Bottom line is, you added another gun to my bucket list, dangit. grin

Bottom line is, you added another gun to my bucket list, dangit. grin

If you get one you'll be very pleased. What sold me is the way the gun feels and points. Many long slide 1911's seem to be muzzle heavy. For some reason this one doesn't. It handles much like any other steel framed 1911 pistol.