Practically Shooting

Went to the gun rage today..

brueggma

Everyone,

I finally got the chance to hit the gun range today. Good fun, until I heard some guy talking/grunting over my right shoulder. So naturally, I turned around to look..

I noticed the guy figiting with his rifle (looked like a .22lr). The guy was standing, with the rifle butt in his leg. But I noticed something coming towards my head, it was the end of the barrel swinging around. frown I didn't get hit with anything, but I did jerk back a bit, as I was on the wrong end of a firearm.

I have no idea if the thing was loaded or not. Or if he was having issues with a live round. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I want to know now.

The guy did apologize, but left shortly after. I'm not upset at the guy or anything, I just hope he dosen't hurt himself or anyone in the future.

I bet we've all got stories, and even with each of us having some, we'd probably still be surprised by each others'.

The interesting part is how the offender reacts. Some seem insulted, others make it clear they are, and a few are actually grateful you pointed it out. I had a guy thank me profusely last year for asking him to point his pistol's muzzle away from me as it lay on the bench. I've seen him several times since, have observed his gun handling, and have no qualms with anything I've seen since. Sadly, others do everything but outright refuse to be careful.

Last year me and my shooting partner were shooting 22LR rifles, practicing our standing position for an upcoming CMP Rimfire Sporter match. We were in the left two shooting lanes of a 10 lane range. Another guy comes up and wants to hang his targets. He was on the far right side shooting lane. We unload, open the bolts on our guns, tell him the line is " safe - no fire" and proceed to also walk out to check out / replace our targets. Before we even got back to the firing line the other guy was starting to shoot. We both ran back to the line and he is shooting like nothing was wrong. I stood there in disbelief, but my buddy walked over to him and proceeded to ream him a new one. He replied " You guys were far enough over there , you had nothing to worry about". We loaded up our gear and left, buy not before informing the owner of the range what happeded. The next time back there the range owner told us he had the guy on their "no entry" list. Idiots are everywhere, but I'm trying my best not to be shot by one.

OK

My first time shooting at my club, I somehow had to go on a weekend day when it was crowded. I was shooting prone, and when I started to get up I saw a guy behind the line with a revolver, who had just picked a spot and was raising his gun to shoot. Yep, his plan was to just shoot over everybody's head.

At another place, the only state-ran range I've been to (a spot by the road where you pull off and shoot) a woman went downrange picking up brass while we shot. I said something to her and she said "That's OK, you're not bothering me".

You're bothering me, lady. Telling her she could get shot had no effect, but telling her she was picking up my brass was finally got her to stop.

Every now and then, I'll see two people come to the range together and one will put targets up while the other gets the guns out.

Bad idea.

Almost every time, this results in one handling guns before his buddy is back. That would be bad enough ordinarily, but it's augmented by the fact he is unpacking both guy's guns and he might nit be familiar with his buddy's.

If these people want to get shot, I guess it's their right, but I wish they would think of the rest of us whose range could get shut down.