Practically Shooting

Saiga .410 Semi-auto

Pablo

The local shop that always has racks of surplus guns and whatever is the latest Century Arms imports always had .410 Saigas and they were always priced a lot less than Saigas in any other caliber or gauge. I mean by roughly half.

I always wondered why the .410 was so much less. Anyone know?

I would have thought there would be little difference no matter the cal/ga.

Maybe it's because they always had at least 15 of the.410s and one or two others.

It's not like they are jam masters or anything that I can tell....but I see in vids people are shooting steel cased shells....I wonder if they don't feed standard plastic shells well?

I just thing if they work well, they would be effective burglar scarers for lighter folks, without the 12g shoulder busting.

Personal opinion, my two cents, nobody asked, etc, but...

I don't have a good feeling about this whole ".410 for defense" thing, with Judge revolvers and .410 shotguns. Maybe it's the rabbits I used to see run off after being shot with .410. Granted, the rabbits were shot with #6 shot and not the three buckshot pellet loads they have now, but it's hard to get the image out of my mind.

I understand the recoil reduction thing, but a .223 carbine won't recoil any more and I'd much rather depend on it. In handguns, a 9mm and sone others would recoil the same or less, and again, I'd rather go that way. Perhaps more important, practice ammo is cheaper in regular calibers.

But all of this is coming from a guy with a 14" .410 Contender barrel, which is not real easy to justify itself.