Practically Shooting

Help me decide on my next purchse.

brueggma

Greetings!

My place of employment has a VERY nice program to reward (above and beyond) work with gift certificates. And after looking through their program, it looks like Cabela's is on their list. I have ~$400 to spend, how should I spend it? smile

Option #1: Get a Weatherby Vangaurd. 308.

Option #2: Get another pistol (undecided yet)

Option #3: 18" barrel for 870. Glock: laser/light, extra mags, lots of ammo.

How to spend $400 on guns is easy and hard. I could do it in a second, but it would be a lot harder to spend it for someone else without knowing what they want, what they need, what they already have, etc.

So without knowing these things, I can't offer much to help you decide. Instead, I'll throw a couple of things out there you didn't name. They will either flop or fly depending on your situation.

If you don't already reload, that's where I would say to spend it. You could get set up nicely for that amount of money. It's one of those things people put off buying, but if you got "free money" and can do it in one purchase, there is hardly a better time.

If you already reload, you might look at bullet casting. It's a pain, and even more time consuming, but knowing a pile of wheelweights can be made into a box of bullets of any type/caliber/style as the need demands needed is nice.

Just some thoughts, and they may be bad ones, but it would feel odd for me to start talking you into a .308 rifle if you have 300 of them just like it already and can't shoot them for some reason, for example.

The safe bet (for me to suggest and for you to do) would be leaning toward ammo and stuff. It's awful hard to go wrong buying more ammo. Ever.

Barry/Wayne,

Thank you for reading and making a suggestion. I'm a little hesetant to reload given my past with explosive chemicals. frown I think I'd be too chicken sh1t at this point..

1. Trying to make one BIG snap/pop out of ~100 and dropping one into the pile at 8yrs old. Got a lot of what seems like little white rocks in the face, after it exploded.

2. Making a what was basicly a molotov cocktail, liting it and bringing it into the house after reading a kids story about laterns.

3. blowing off my thumb nail while trying to stick a lit M80 into a empty coke can.

I've learned my lesson. At this point, I may have a mental thing about it. I don't think reloading is for me.

Maybe another thread should be started with "Stupid things you're willing to admit you did as a kid?"

Yeah, but did you do any of this recently? OK then.

The people I've heard say they were afraid to reload for fear of blowing themselves up are usually methodical, meticulous people who would be really good at it.

And a little fear is good. It keeps you careful. It's the ones who don't see what the worry is about that scare me.