Practically Shooting

Need help

G-MAN

Guys, I need your help. I need to find out what the list price was for a Browning Sweet Sixteen in 1969. The main character in the novel I'm writing gets one for his sixteenth birthday and I need to know the cost. I've done Google searches and all I'm getting is the current price of Sweet Sixteens from 1969.

I don't have any Browning catalogs that old. I might have some Gun Digests that old. I know I have back to 1971. If I have the 70 Gun Digest, the price listed would actually be the 69 price.

I have gun magazines around that era, and remember ads with the A-5 and B2000 in an ad from approx that time, but don't recall if a price was given.

It may be at least a day before I can look for any of these. I just got home from a carbine match that was supposed to be done before noon and took until after 4:00, so have to do things now I had planned the entire afternoon for.

I have a number in my head that I can picture from that ad, but won't say it until I confirm it...especially since I don't know if the ad had a number.

I'd think one could buy one for that then.

Let me know if you find something with the actual price. I would not worry about it except that the character in the story has been ogling the gun in the hardware store for months, so he knows the price. He's expecting it for Christmas, but getting it for is birthday (along with a car) is a big surprise.

OK, I'll check when I get the chance, and keep my eyes open until then.

I remembered a pair of books I have (more like pamphlets) on Brownings by the Eastman brothers, who were Browning collectors and gun show promoters in the SE in the 80s. They are primarily s/n guides but do have some other info, including prices over the years- but not every year. I think it's more like: "in 1940, this model cost X; in 1950, they cost X,..." and so on, but it might be more detailed than that. Even if it gives a 1970 price on these, it would be closer.

I want to say a Studebaker of some sort?

Yep. A 62 GT Hawk. The best looking American car of the 1960s. Totally under appreciated at the time, you cold pick one up for a next to nothing by 69. Studebaker aimed this car squarely at the Thunderbird.

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
The best looking American car of the 1960s.

WOW, beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess, I certainly would disagree with that statement!

However my interest in this book is definitely piqued! any time frame when it will be released?

The book should be out in November.

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But when you look at the target car for the GT Hawk, I don't think there is any comparison:

I only knew it was a Studebaker because 1) the owner of some of the land dad farmed drove a 59 Studebaker President until he died in 1982, and 2) you can't go to a car show, museum, or parade in central Indiana without seeing a few Studebakers.

I always thought their pickup trucks were cool. More styling to them than most brands.