Practically Shooting

new-to-us .22lr Remington 510

dnewton3

My dad just handed down a Remington 510 (so old it has no serial number) to my son.

Nice little plinker. Darn accurate too (ought to be with such a long barrel).

The Remington site has very little info on these, historically. Anyone know of issues/concerns to watch out for with this particular model?

I like those old slender .22s that look five feet long but weigh about two pounds. They always seem to have sights on them that my eyes can't see, however.

I think the 510 was the same series as the 511, 512, 513, 514, etc, the difference being the magazine type (if any), target version and so on. Sorta like they did with the 580, 581, 582, etc later. So I'd think any info you could find on the 511-514 would apply for the most part. I would guess either the 513 or 514 were most popular, based on what I've seen surviving.

I have a model 512, very similar to the 510 except mine is tube fed. I am not aware of any issues with these rifles. Mine was passed down to me from my father, who bought it new when he was a teenager. It is still my go to squirrel gun, very accurate.