Practically Shooting

Help Pablo pick his next gun...

Pablo

Long time no buy. It's been at least 2-3 months since I bought a firearm.

Been drooling over a black DW Valor M1911.

This is REALLY calling my name:

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/pistol/cPath,5

Got a bid in on my first Glock.

Want an AK-47 but need help finding one.

Want a tiny 9mm. Waiting for that super mini Beretta to hit the market.

Waiting forever for the Ruger SR1911 to arrive.

Some small wood sporting .308. Near Scout type rifle.

Frankly help me choose or suggest something else.

I don't know anything about that DW.

I'm not sure about the Coonan. It's interesting, that's for sure, but I have heard a lot if mixed reports. There was one that kept changing hands among the gun shop regulars in the mid to late 90s. It got passed around so much it became a joke. Most liked it, but the consensus was that it needed 158 grain or heavier bullets to work (if that matters). I've also read and heard of bad luck getting them to work with anything, so I don't know. I know it's gone through a few "generations". They were trying to get them going when I was in high school and I wonder if they still will be when I have my 30 year reunion soon.

AK? I've said it before so will try to condense. I don't really like AKs but have one because I think it's a good idea to stay familiar with them. You never know when one might drop at your feet these days, and that's not the time to learn how to operate one. I got a cheap Romanian because I thought it best exemplified the average AK out in the world.

Tiny 9mm. I didn't know Beretta had one coming. The last time I looked forward to a small Beretta 9mm, it was the 9000S that turned out to be so wide as to defeat it's own purpose in my mind.

I like Kahrs though.

For a sorta small 9mm that is definitely different, you might look at an HK P7. They are not small compared to the Kahrs and KelTecs,, but smaller than a lot of them. It's one of my favorite guns and one of the easiest to shoot well. Everybody who shoots mine shoots it well, and often they do as well with it as their own gun on their first try.

Waiting on the Ruger SR1911? I'm still waiting on the Ruger XGI. You will get yours first.

For a small wood stocked bolt action, I still want a Steyr-Mannlicher M1903 in 6.5mm.

If the right deal for a high power pops up, I'm in.

The Glock 17L and 9mm Camp Carbine are on the way. A little excited. My first Glock and I have been reading about the carbine. The 45 model auction just went WAY too high for me. Still may get one.

Should I get the Coonan .357Mag or the Dan Wesson Black Valor?

Either/both would just be range guns. Fun guns.

You are correct, they are very different beasts. Both would keep my friends saying "Paul has some cool and interesting guns" - as noted they are already say this, so it's not my goal.

I would love to have a fire breathing .357Mag Semiauto, and/or a top line M1911.