Practically Shooting

Rash of Remington 870 cracked recievers

wwillson

Several Remington 870's have suffered cracked receivers at the trap club where I shoot. I know the loads that each shooter shoots in their guns and they loads are certainly not 'hot' loads. The only thing I can think of is that it's simply a fatigue problem. All of the cracked receivers have been fired over 20,000 times. Is the 870 known to crack when fired extensively? If that's the case, maybe I'll stop using my 870 for trap. I bought it brand new when I was 14 and would hate to end up with a garbage 870 Wingmaster.

Wayne

I've not heard of that, but will ask around. I did hear something about some failures in the trigger group a while back (not sure what it was now) but nothing about receivers.

The people I'd be asking are instructors (defensive shooting, not clay sports) so while they see a lot of rounds go downrange, it would be less than a group of hardcore trap shooters shoot. Then again, the loads they see are usually heavier loads.

I know what they are going to ask, so I might as well ask now:

-Of the 870s that cracked, are they of a certain vintage? Recent production, older, or a mix?

-Where specifiaclly are they cracking? Or is it in different places.

Now that I think about it, I am more surprised. The 870 receiver is not as stressed as some shotgun receivers since the bolt locks into the barrel rather than the receiver (as on the Ithaca 37 for example). Still, the stress gets transferred to the receiver eventually.

There are some shotguns that were known as receiver crackers but the 870 I'd not one if them that I know of.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...