Practically Shooting

What's going on gents?

FNFAL308

Not new to Forums or Firearms by any stretch but I am NEW here. Figured I'd register and maybe join the festivities.

I live in Florida and shoot quite a bit.. My general firearms experience is pretty broad but I do have an affinity for Military Small Arms.. In case my Moniker doesn't hint enough I am particularly fond of the FN FAL.

I reload for most all my rifle & pistol calibers including shot shells in both 20ga & 12ga.. Been reloading for many years and find it to be a great pastime as well as money saver.

Always to willing learn new things, and palaver with like minded folk.. If I can share anything at all with other posters I'll be sure to do so...

FNFAL308,

Welcome to our forums!

Lots of us here have similar interests as yours, I think you'll enjoy your time spent here. We're still in the 'building' stage with 110 members and 5000+ posts, so it does get a bit slow sometimes. Our goal isn't get to huge and hard to manage, instead I envision a fairly small group of friends who can partake in friendly conversations about things we enjoy. We'll see where it goes.

Wayne

And all FALs are not FNs. Mine is not, being an L1a1 parts set on a cheap receiver. Some parts on mine are wore slap out but it runs like a top, which to me is a testament to the design.

That Saive guy knew some things, and should get more credit than he does IMHO.

I'd like to have an FN49 someday, speaking of Saive.

Those are some nice ones you have there, FNFAL.

And all FALs are not FNs. Mine is not, being an L1a1 parts set on a cheap receiver. Some parts on mine are wore slap out but it runs like a top, which to me is a testament to the design.

That Saive guy knew some things, and should get more credit than he does IMHO.

I'd like to have an FN49 someday, speaking of Saive.

Those are some nice ones you have there, FNFAL.

Your right of course but even though they are not all FN they all basically come from the same mind.. He was a GENIOUS no doubt and the fact that these rifles have seen pretty much constant use by 90 countries for over 50 years clearly lends testament to the original design.

Thanks, yes I am smitten no doubt and have been collecting and shooting these for some time now. Just built another last week and it will see it's very first range day Sat.. In fact I also just now finished my loading for SAT.. Wanted to go back to some old data and run my H-335 load first..

YES, you DO NEED and FN49... t-up

I need to complete that Rhodesian FAL parts set I got a few years ago before I get any more FN rifles.

Who is making good receivers now (that are mostly available)? I remember hearing something about some more Coonan receivers becoming available a year or so ago- Did that ever happen?

The RHODIES are cool builds, did you get a kit with lots of paint on it?

As far as I'm concerned at this point in time COONAN is the BEST option.. The One I just screwed together absolutely went perfectly.. The Barrel hand timed exactly right and torqued up spot on. Headspace was EASY as pie & the locking shoulder needed was .259".. I'm pretty stoked about this build..

COONAN is really making great receivers abd seem to have teken care if the "issues" the yhad a couple years back..

DSA is of course making receivers and they are good but most everyone is reporting that very small L/S's are needed for corect H/S.. This is not acceptable to me so when i do my IZZY H/Bar next I'll be using another COONAN since they are now making T2's.

I've also built on CENTURY and to be honest had NO ISSUES with those either so IF you have one or come across one at a good price it is worth consideration..

YUP, Dan's Ammo/Sporting Goods used to have a LOT of FAL Stuff years back. Dan is great to do BIZ with so I imagine you have a nice kit. There was a time he had a ton of kits and sold them at terrific prices bacl in the day.

If I was you I'd go with a COONAN for the Rhodie build.. DCI has really stepped up for the FAL guy's and is making a great product at a fair price..

I'll be sure to share the details of my fire/function test for this build but I expect no issues.. Hand cycling dummy rounds and empty cases evetything seems GTG. I also handcycled the action about 100 times so far.. Just need the gas tube pin (should be here tomorrow) then I can throw on a set of H/G's..

I really need to finish some projects involving my first love (Garand) but should go ahead and buy the receiver to complete that Rhodie kit whenever I get to it. Even if I don't get to it for a while, there might come a day where I really wish I had bought it when I could.

I printed off a bunch of stuff from the WECSOG place a few years ago for guidance. I am looking forward to your account. More info is always good.

G'Day,

I shoot on the range that they built and commissioned all the Aussie L1A1s, and played with them some when I was in Air Training Corps (Cadets).

There's some neat ones at the Small Arms Factory Museum, including various timbers, a monster funtioning cutaway action, and a handful of pistonless single shots that were attempting to become target rifles when the .303Brit and SMLE was phased out of our local competition.

Single shot L1A1 complied with the laws at the time, but as they weren't surplus and cost full price so to speak, the project was still born and aftermarket rifles became the target norm.

I really need to finish some projects involving my first love (Garand) but should go ahead and buy the receiver to complete that Rhodie kit whenever I get to it. Even if I don't get to it for a while, there might come a day where I really wish I had bought it when I could.

I printed off a bunch of stuff from the WECSOG place a few years ago for guidance. I am looking forward to your account. More info is always good.

I haven't been to FAL Files in a while, but have spent some time on there. It's where I saw Dan's advertising the Rhodie parts kits when I got mine.

WECSOG is a guy or two guys who were FAL Files regulars when I was on there. It stands for Wyle E Coyote School Of Gunsmithing, as their forte was doing gunsmithing with regular shop tools. They had a nice photo essay up at one time on building an FAL from parts.

My feeling is everyone needs THREE Garands (so they can be stacked by the stacking swivels!).

I haven't been to FAL Files in a while, but have spent some time on there. It's where I saw Dan's advertising the Rhodie parts kits when I got mine.

WECSOG is a guy or two guys who were FAL Files regulars when I was on there. It stands for Wyle E Coyote School Of Gunsmithing, as their forte was doing gunsmithing with regular shop tools. They had a nice photo essay up at one time on building an FAL from parts.

My feeling is everyone needs THREE Garands (so they can be stacked by the stacking swivels!).

Very familier with WECSOG, got my Diploma awhile back.. grin

Yea the Files is a great place and there was a time Dan had some pretty amazing deals.. We also used to have some pretty sweet Group Buy's back in the day..

Your right 3 M1's should be the minimum I think, that way one can make a proper "stack" at anytime.

Love the M1'S, it is a special rifle and it does so much so well.. Wonderful sights, very accurate, and of course it's overall design surely one of the greatest ever..

All this M1 talk means that I'll be bringing one for sure on SAT.. The tough part is choosing who gets to play and who has to stay home.. wink

I'm a bit tardy but wanted to share a few PICS from last SAT's range trip..

BTW, the NEW FAL build ran GREAT!! wink

Took these right before we left.. Rifle is not 100% just yet as I will be swapping H/G's (these are off one of my PARA's)and some other small parts to get her a bit more correct for an IZZY Build but she is close.

At the range, having a lot of fun:

The IZZY:

FIRST three shots from the IZZY.. Shot #1 is in the 6-Ring @ 1:O'clock.. Made my sight ajustments (got lucky and nailed it), next Two shots are in the X-RING.. shocked

Guess I did OK on the barrel timing..

As I said I would, an M1 came out to play as well.. Figured it appropriate for the 4'TH of JULY weekend..

Hope ya like the PICS.. cheers