Practically Shooting

my first lever action

Win

Also been looking at lever guns for awhile and when the local Academy Sports + Outdoors got a Marlin 1895G Guide Gun in 45 70 Govt I took the plunge.

I'm hoping to do some hog hunting this fall and plan to use either the guide gun or a Mini 30 in 7.62x39.

Also been looking at lever guns for awhile and when the local Academy Sports + Outdoors got a Marlin 1895G Guide Gun in 45 70 Govt I took the plunge.

I'm hoping to do some hog hunting this fall and plan to use either the guide gun or a Mini 30 in 7.62x39.

Very cool! I've never shot a .45-70. Must post pics!

I have to think hog hunting with a lever gun would be too much fun. What time are we leaving? t-upgrin

Love them Marlin 45-70s! I had one (the regular 22" barrel model), and traded it off because I wanted something else. I had no real use for it honestly.

But after a couple of years, I replaced it with another just like it.

I couldn't stand not having one, even if I had no real good use for it. The first one shot so well that I kept thinking about it. The second one does at least as well and come to think of it, I don't recall hearing any accuracy complaints on a Marlin 45-70, ever.

A guy who is a regular on some lever action sites used to run a lever action postal match every year. It was a five shot group at either 50 yards is using open sights, or 100 with a scope. I entered it with a 50 yard group a little over .3" from the Marlin 45-70, which I thought was pretty good. It placed something like 12th. I think all but one or two of the rifles ahead of mine was a Marlin in either 45-70 or .444.

The things shoot.

• 4 years later...