Practically Shooting

Magnum 209 vs non-Magnum 209 shotgun primers

I've been loading Alliant Steel powder lately for heavy steel shot loads. It's pretty well understood that Steel powder required magnum primers. I've loaded a few boxes with non-magnum primers and have experienced some mild ignition inconsistency, which I expected. I expect more consistent ignition with magnum primers as they are 'hotter'.

I've never understood what 'hotter' really means. Is the temperature of the gas coming out of the primer a higher temperature, or is there a larger volume of gas at the same temperature?

Thanks,

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

It's not correct to say a primer is hotter although it seems that's the way most folks refer to primers. The difference is the brisance of the primer. Brisance is defined as follows:

The rapidity with which an explosive develops its maximum pressure is a measure of the quality known as brisance. A brisant explosive is one in which the maximum pressure is attained so rapidly that the effect is to shatter any material in contact with it and all surrounding material.

Magnum primers have more brisance.