Practically Shooting

Mini Draco Pistol

Pablo

I had to do a search to see what a Draco was. Now I see; an AK pistol. Romanian-made, right?

Just an FYI type of thing; Some people think the Romanian AKs are extra rough around the edges. I have a Romanian-made WASR, and while it was literally rough around some edges, a few minutes with a stone made it easier to work with. There are also complaints about canted from sights, but a good eyeballing should spot examples that are bad enough to really matter.

All in all, the Romanian I bought was worth the need to spend a few minutes work on in order to save a hundred dollars or more compared to buying a "better" one.

In my opinion, there is a point of no return on making AKs "better". How nicely finished do they need to be?

Drifting a little, do you have an AK now? I think everyone with an interest in guns should have an AK. Not because I like them particularly better than anything else, but because I think it's a good idea to have some familiarity with a potential adversary's weapon. You might have need of that knowledge someday. Looking back over my lifetime, almost everyone who wanted to kill us was armed with AKs, from the Soviets to the Jihadists.

As a matter of fact, the Romanian WASR, being a bit rougher, was a plus to me because that probably makes it more representative of the typical terrorist-quality AK.

So the Draco might be good to get for a couple of reasons. It would be a fun toy you will use and shoot. And by extension, if you should (heaven forbid) happen to be in a shopping mall someday when something bad happens and you find yourself in possession of an AK a terrorist doesn't need anymore, but his buddies are still active, you won't have to stand there learning how to operate one efficiently and effectively. If the Draco is the AK you would be most likely to shoot and get comfortable with, then that's the one to get.

BTW, while they may be a bit rough, I think they shoot better than most people give them credit for. A lot of people simply don't bother trying to see how well they will do because they "know" they don't shoot well. They might be surprised.

My WASR was $340 but that was three to four years ago. I have not paid any attention to their prices since, but I have doubts they have come down even during that period of grand economic growth. The first two I had were $219 each, so yes, it was hard enough for me to grasp the $340 of the last one, let alone the figures that are apparently out there according to that Gunbroker link.

By the way, I just happened to be trying cast bullet loads in mine this week. I can make it run just fine with a 160 grain bullet at velocities at least as low as 1354 fps. Even with that being a heavier than standard bullet, it operating at nearly 1,000 fps below normal (almost exactly 60% speed) still impressed me some. I have now got it working with a range of 85 grain bullets (32 revolver) at nearly 3,000 to bullets weighing nearly double traveling half as fast. Not bad for a rifle designed around one bullet.

A year or so ago, I briefly experimented with some 210 grain bullets (for the .303) trying to get it to function at subsonic speeds. It was unsuccessful but close enough for a first attempt that I think it can be done. If so, that would be a really broad range.

• 6 months later...