Practically Shooting

one or two eyes open? help the newb..

brueggma

Is the link below usually how we're supposed to aim at a target? ie: both eyes open focused on the front site?

I was at the range today, with both eyes open focusing on the target and the sights kept jumping from left to right.. from the link below, I see I'm supposed to focus on the front sight with the target a little blurry?

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/pistol_sighting.pdf

Ideally, you should keep both eyes open.

That's ideally.

I never could do it. I always see too many sets of sights to align. When I shot Highpower (rifle) people were always trying to get me to stop (until I made Master classification) and half the pistol matches or classes I am in end up in a discussion on this, dominant eyes, etc. Some instructors make a big deal about it and others wave it off as nothing, and I don't see any difference in their results.

Truthfully, I side more with those who think it's a big fuss over nothing.

The only time I see serious trouble with one-eye or cross-dominant eyesight (an example of cross-dominant would be someone who is a right handed shooter with a left dominant eye) is with long guns and then when the shooter simply cannot use the other eye. I have heard that around half the people in the world are cross-dominant, but to what degree is the important thing. Just a little bit isn't that bad, but being practically unable to use the "strong side" eye with a long gun could be a problem. Then if they have to shoot using the "wrong" eye, they shoot from that shoulder but place their hands as if using the other. In other words, shoot from the left shoulder but have the right hand on the grip and manipulating the trigger while the left supports the forend.

I just re-read your post. I missed the phrase "...focusing on the target..." the first time.

You should be focusing on the front sight. Concentrating on it. Counting the serrations or locating imperfections in the tritium vial.

FSP: Front Sight, Press.

Or, FSPR: Front Sight, Press, Repeat.

I'm a goofy foot (Right handed, left footed), and don't see really well in 3D normally. Can move eyes independently if I need to.

I shoot both eyes open, right eye on the sights (scope, or open), and left on the target at range.

Helps in not cross shooting other's targets by not seeing the context/backdrop of the target. Helps be range aware (although really that's the range officer's job), and adds a "red dot" type of superposition of images.