Practically Shooting

Smith & Wesson SD9 & SD40 - who's confused?

wwillson

Smith & Wesson market the SD9 & SD40 as a special home defense and self defense handgun. The SD series clearly has it's heritage in the Sigma, which arguably failed in the marketplace. Why do you market a retake of a handgun that failed when you have an absolute market success in the M&P pistol series? Is Smith simply going for market share against less expensive pistols out there? I would think that Smith would concentrate on the M&P, which is gaining more market share against the higher-end competitors every day. There has to be more margin in the M&P than in the SD, or am I missing something?

Wayne

That's about all I can figure, that they are going for the don't-want-to-spend-quite-as-much market, which is probably the people who won't know it's heritage.

Once the M&P took hold, they should have put that line to bed and not looked back. I have heard they got them sorted out, but it was too late to do much with.

I had a SD9 and for the $$ it is a excellent weapon. MUCH better than a Sigma.

For under $400 weapon I'd suggest it if someone wanted a full size home defense rig. If you wanted to get something that could be carried then a SR9C would be my suggestion if the person could handle a tight trigger. (when compared to normal striker ones)

M&P's are quite a bit more and that is out of quite a few folks budget.

Take care, Bill