Practically Shooting

9mm handi-rifle ?

Shannow

A while ago, I bought a Rossi "Matched Pair" .22LR with a spare 12ga barrel....would have rathered .410 (clubmate knows how to make brass .410 out of .303 cases), but the 12 gauge was all that was offered.

Could sell the rifle 5 times a trip to the range, as with our single shot comps, the break action ejecting brass over the shoulder, and the ease of loading versus farnarkling around with a single round down the breach of a bolt action has made it a range favourite.

Was having a wonder the other day...

Part of the reason that I (and others) chose certain rifles in .223 wasn't the match chambering, but the military chambering.

Which got me thinking as to the worthiness of 9mm in a break action single shot, and what my local gunsmith ,might be able to achieve with my spare, prolly never to be used 12 gauge block.

Can shoot at my local range (10mm limit), can play subsonic, supersonic, and WTSHTF, people will be carrying it around.

I think more (wood) sporting rifles in 9mm would be a great idea. I think with the real resurgence of shooting sports a low cost centerfire rifle - single, lever or semi-auto is a GREAT IDEA!

$9 for 50 rounds and not many non-BLACK rifles, there is a great opportunity.

I wouldn't hate having a 9mm barrel for my Contender. Pistol length or carbine either one would be OK.

A .45 ACP Contender barrel wouldn't be bad either.

I've had the itch for a suppressed 9mm Contender carbine barrel for a while.

I've had semiautos and still have SMGs in both calibers and never found a longer barrel added that much velocity (at least not without loading specifically for that), but that's not what I'd be wanting one for anyway.

But you could. I used to really enjoy the late Dean Grennell's articles (Gun World and some Gun Digest books), and he did some work with custom made Contender barrels in 9mm and 45ACP. He would load them specifically for those barrels and get some ridiculous velocities.

...versus farnarkling around...

OK, for the past couple of hours, I have been thinking about farnarkling. I think I might like to farnarkle, but I'm not sure and am afraid to ask for help. I do have an Enfield that was made at ROF Fazakerly, and I like it, but I don't think that's the same.

• 11 months later...

Was at a regional gun-show today, and my Gunsmith was there with his displays (beautiful Lithgow .303, and I didn't notice said smith it was that nice).

Told him of my Rossi, the fact that 12ga doesn't interest me,and what could he do with 9mm ?

Eyes lit up like when he was showing me his .357Mag Martini Cadet, and then regaled me with his recent .45-70/12 gauge full choke side by side that he built up just recently.

Reckons that he can do "something" with the 12ga barrel/lock, and wants me to take said kit in for a look.