Practically Shooting

m14 m1a

hittman

Since you haven't had a reply in a couple of days, I'll add my small experience.

I have the 2nd Generation mount from SA, the one that uses the receiver threads and a second socket in a lug that replaces the stripper clip guide. It seemed solid enough, but I never really trusted it and was always twisting on the knobs to make sure.

The problem I had is the one you're just about going to have regardless of what mount you use. The stock isn't shaped for scope use and the mount causes the scope to sit pretty high, so the two things combined create a poor cheek weld. Even with the lowest rings, when my eye was aligned with the scope I had a chin weld rather than a cheek weld. You can use it that way. but it's pretty awkward feeling.

You are going to have to add a cheek riser to the stock or shoot that way. I never put one on mine, but have tried some M1A's with risers of various types (padded nylon with straps, home made foam and tape) and they still felt funny to me.

I have better rifles for scope use, gave up on scoping the M1A, and haven't used my mount in over ten years. I don't even know where it is now.

• 6 months later...

This threads a little old, but I thought I'd share the set-up I found that works really well on my M1A.

I chose the ARMS #18 mount for two reasons:

1) it fits very securely to the rifle

2) it sits low enough that you don't have to remove it to shoot with the iron sights

I have the throw lever ARMS #22 medium height rings but probably could have got away with the low height rings. The throw lever rings are great because I can remove the scope and shoot with iron sights very quickly, and then switch back to a scope if I want without losing zero.

The cheek rest I use is not the most stable, but it is nice in that I can push it to the side slightly to shoot iron sights if I want to.

I guess I forgot about it when I posted before, but I made up a "scope stock" for mine. I doubt they are this cheap now, but at the time you could get a GI fiberglass M14 stock for maybe $12 if you weren't very picky on condition. I got one of those, made a riser, screwed it on top with long wood screws, then strengthened and smoothed it all together with a fiberglass repair kit. I can't remember where I got the riser from, but I think it was a piece of forend cut off some junk plastic stock, or maybe even from an old airgun stock.

The surplus stock needed filled and painted anyway, so it all got a Krylon Kustom paint job.

It ended up looking like a regular stock with a really large rear end (jokes accepted here).

It worked great with a scope, but the irons were absolutely unusable with it.