Practically Shooting

1911 22

Arkie_Lefty

Anyone interested in a great functioning 22 specific 1911 should look at the new GSG (German Sport Guns) imported by ATC (American Tatical ?) While the frame or slide can't be used on a true 1911, they have something like 80% parts interchangeability, and look and feel exactly like one. Blowback design.

Not a target model, but will shoot with most Ruger MKII's, must use HV ammo. Overall great reports on all the gun forums I visit. Lurve mine!

Bob

I don't have one, but expect I will.

I have a GSG-5 (the .22 MP-5 lookalike) though I've never been able to figure out why since I'm not a real big MP5 fan. Anyway, I am impressed with the design of that GSG-5 and it shoots really well. Those who buy those to hose with are missing out.

So when I saw their .22 1911, I expected it would be good. The first one I saw at the club impressed me and I knew I'd get one but just haven't got around to it.

I had a Kimber .22 (yes it worked) and it was kinda handy even though I didn't use it that often. I always thought a conversion unit was the way to go there, but after getting that Kimber I really liked having the complete gun. It was handier to have a gun that was ready to go whenever I wanted instead of having to look for the conversion unit. It may seem silly to not want to tie up a gun with a conversion unit when I have plenty of 1911s, but it did seem easier. If I shot with someone else often or my kids were ready to start shooting, it would be much nicer to have a separate complete .22 than to fiddle around swapping uppers when they wanted it.

I parted with it because I found something else I wanted more (as usual) and didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. But with the GSG 1911 .22 running something like $309 at the local shop, it's cheap enough I can justify it even if I didn't use it that often.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking at the new "Colt" 1911 22 Rail Gun. It's branded Colt, but made by Walther and imported through Umarex so it has the Arkansas import marks.

Not much in common with a 1911 other than looks, though.

Nearly bought one last night.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at the new "Colt" 1911 22 Rail Gun. It's branded Colt, but made by Walther and imported through Umarex so it has the Arkansas import marks.

Not much in common with a 1911 other than looks, though.

Nearly bought one last night.

Haven't seen a "Colt" yet, but I'm betting it's just another brand name on the same gun. The GSG is also supposed to be built by Walther as well.

Bob

I don't see the need for a 22 only 1911 platform when you can buy the Kimber conversion for about 200 bucks. I have one of the conversions and it's almost rifle accurate with the right ammo. Why buy a 22 only when you can have both. Also makes for "learning" the trigger for the 45 slide using the cheaper 22 ammo.

• 1 month later...

I pulled the trigger, so to speak, on the Colt 1911 Rail Gun in 22LR this week when the local Academy got another one in.

it sure looks like a nicely made gun, and is sized almost identically to a real 1911. It comes with only one magazine, unfortunately.

I'm moving my office and have a lot of other stuff going on, so it will be awhile before I get to shoot it, but I bet it will be fun. I've got the .22 bug lately; I bought a Taurus .22 revolver a couple of months ago, and might get a .22LR bolt action.