Practically Shooting

Sig P229 .40 and 357 SIG

Pablo

So, IF I buy this guy:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219714514

I would still need to find new magazines for the 357 Sig or will the .40 mags work - one side of my brain says yes, because it's the same basic brass OD, but......

NEVER MIND -

Quote:
Also includes a factory new .357 Sig barrel for the 229. Simply switch to the .357 Sig barrel, in a few seconds, and you are shooting a different caliber. Works with the 40 SW magazines included with your handgun.

My brother has one and the 357 uses the same clips as the 40. If you need more clips, they were not an easy find and as I remember he paid like $50.00 for extras, each. You might be able to find them cheaper but that's what they were going for when he had a hard time finding them. If you intend to load for the 357Sig, we need to chat as it is a major pain in the backside. Not all 9mm bullets will work and because of the short neck, not all pistol powders are ideal and a factory crimp die is needed. We have found the best place to get brass is at the local police dept- it's free here. Otherwise, I see no need for ever owning a 357 SIG. It does nothing that others can't do at a fraction of the cost. Might wanna check with the local gun shops and check on ammo. Most in Texas do not carry it anymore. It's a dying round that the LEOs carry because that's what is issued.

Just so you know-

At one time, Sig said the P239 needed different magazines for .357 Sig and .40 S&W. Why, I don't know, but they did. They didn't say that for their other models- just the P239.

I had a .357 P239, but never had a .40 barrel for it so never got to try that out.

I do have one very tiny bit of info on that. There was an IDPA match last year where the match director was bringing a new shooter who was using a P239 in .40. He only had two mags, so the m.d. sent out an email asking if anyone had a spare to loan them. I took one of my old .357 P239 mags and they used it. I didn't remember the .357/.40 thing specific to the P239 until the match was underway, so when I got my mag back after the match I asked if it worked. He said yes, it worked, but they only used it once.

So it worked in one gun for a handful of shots. fwiw.

Get a 357 barrel and you can play Secret Service Agent!

I think the P228/P229 is a good size for a carry gun. I had two 228 9mms, and a 229 with 357 and 40 barrels. Not at the same time.

I had high hopes for the 228, which is why I have had two. I got the first one but never could shoot it well and traded it off. I tried another 228 a couple of years later, with the same result.

In between, I got the 229 and could shoot it better, so apparently it wasn't because the size and shape didn't agree with me.

Fwiw, I had the 239 in 357 while I owned the 229, and could always shoot the smaller 239 better. The grip fit my hand a lot better, which is what I attributed that too.

I traded off all the Sigs except my 220 .45 and 226 9mm when I realized I rarely shot DA autos anymore. However, if I had to carry a DA now, I'd use the P220 but would try another P229 soon.

Yes I got the one with the extra barrel. All in all, not a super bad deal for the new two tone P229 with the extra 357 Sig barrel, two 12 round mags, etc. The barrel MSRP is $199, so I figure it's a $150 item. I don't see any Sig P229's going new for $670 locally (or online) that's for sure.

Anyway G-man - I found a FFL who is a work mate's Dad. He charges a pretty low $25 fee and doesn't jack the price up for WA sales tax. The cool thing about this seller - he doesn't charge shipping for Sigs and his credit card fee is only 2%.

357 Sig ammo is amazingly available for now. We shall see. 40 S&W is a bit less than 45 ACP.

At the time I had mine, .40 ammo was cheaper and more available. For reloading, .40 brass was almost giveaway cheap (the State Police academy is about eight miles away) and is a lot easier to reload than 357 Sig anyway.

The result of this was that while I chose to carry it in .357, the .40 barrel got used as my practice barrel and paid for itself quick in both dollars and convenience.

Things change and one caliber can be easier to find than another seemingly overnight, so doubling your options with two barrels can be useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally shot the gun today. I really like .357 SIG. What a nice round to shoot not as hostile as I thought. Swapped in the .40 S&W barrel....basically the same recoil. Switch over to the P225, yeah 9mm is a bit lighter recoil, but not a huge difference. What's most amazing is a how identical these guns are. Almost looks like the barrels are interchangeable.

Anyways I tell you, shooting .357 Sig can be rather addicting - I went through a box of 50 like butter.

Problems with these 3.9" barrel guns is I suck. Well my vision sucks, I can't get the front sight in focus as my arms aren't long enough. I need to get some proper glasses.....been doing some reading........[censored] me off royally....I should have taken up handguns way younger in life!