Practically Shooting

Why I won't ever own a Kel-Tec

G-MAN

Don't know if you've been following Hickok45's vids on his new PF9, but he's been having trouble with the magazine ejecting under recoil. He's been bending over backward to appear fair and unbiased when it comes to this gun, and you can tell he's really struggling not to just call a spade a spade and say it's a piece of junk.

Here's his latest posted comment:

Quote:
I emailed Kel-Tec a couple of days ago, and they answered that they would put the new mag release in the mail to me. I'm assuming it's not that hard to replace - I didn't plan on having to become a Kel-Tech gunsmith the first week or two of owning one. :-)

So funny that a guy who wants to join our small shooting group from work was going on about his Kel-Tec .380. It's the only gun he owns and I actually don't hold that against him, as he wants to get other guns....all I was thinking was a two-three hour session at the range with that tiny thing. grin

Maybe 9mm is just too much for the little gun!

I own a few Kel-tecs. sub-2k and a P3AT.

Never had an issue with either.

They are a lower cost product, so some of the "finish" items are not quite as nice. But, so far, they are very reliable. That does not discount issues that people have, but I for one have had nothing but good experiences.

The folding carbine is really kind of a unique item, and it's really kind of neat. Very reliable (set up for Glock mags) and shoots well.

The .380 in particular is a bit of a handful because it's so light. OTOH, I qualified 180/180 at my annual SO quals with it as a back-up gun. It's acurate and it goes bang every time, and feeds reliably.

• 8 months later...

^

Anything on GB is overpriced... Have you ever talked to your favorite FFL about ordering you one? The store I go to will make most of the things I ask for happen in about a week. Do you ever see Kel-Tec's available anywhere anyway? Everywhere I go doesnt matter what model its sold out.

^

Anything on GB is overpriced... Have you ever talked to your favorite FFL about ordering you one? The store I go to will make most of the things I ask for happen in about a week. Do you ever see Kel-Tec's available anywhere anyway? Everywhere I go doesnt matter what model its sold out.

Sure they can order it. Just means they have 10-20% of the money and you can wait for many, many months. Gun distribution in the USA is very terrible. It's not a complete racket, just not smooth at all. In the PNW, we get the short end of the poop stick.

^

Couldnt agree with you more. Ive have a Hi-Point .45 pistol on order and paid for at my gun shop since last MARCH!!!! I probably could have had that pistol a long time ago but after a few months of my order in the books it wasnt in their records anymore and was forgotten about until September when I reminded them where the F is my Hi-Point!?!? Keep in mind its November and I still dont have that Hi-Point.... And Im crazy enough to dare to order another Hi-Point carbine from the same shop later today... lol

Anything on GB is overpriced? Well, yes and no. If you have a good gun shop nearby, the commonly available stuff should be there and priced competitively at least. Even if the price is more at the shop, there isn't shipping on top of it (you gotta watch that on GB- some charge too much IMO) but more important- it's in your hands that day.

What GB is nice for is the not-so-common stuff. I can spend months looking at gun shops and shows for something, and still not find it, but find a dozen on GB at any time. And it's usually cheaper than at a gun shop or show.

A couple of years ago, I bought six or eight guns off GB over the winter, and all were guns I don't usually see in shops. Nothing rare, but not common either, like a Savage 99, Colt New Service, and Trapdoor Spingfield. These are all older guns, but I see the same with new-to-the-market stuff, although really new guns start bidding wars. I saw my first Rossi Ranch Hand in a shop last month, but they have been on GB for a while. Same when Ruger 77/44s came back.

I'd buy from GB again, but it won't be a Glock 17 or 10-22. It will be be what I can't find just any day.

Their ideas are very good. It's their execution and manufacturing that leaves a lot to be desired. Taurus is another one I would put into this category. Any time you buy one it's a roll of the dice as to if the thing is going to run right or not. If it doesn't, good luck in getting it fixed. I'm not much of a gambler to begin with, let alone with my firearms.

• 1 year later...

I own several Keltecs....P11, PF-9, and P3AT. The two 9's have NEVER malfunctioned for me although the PF-9 balked on my wife but suspect it was a limp-wrist jam (several in fact with her). The 380 was troublesome for awhile...trigger would not always reset but several hundred rounds solved the problem where I'm comfortable carrying it.

My main carry pieces are the PF-9 and the 380. Occasionally, when "dressed up", I'll carry my Kimber UCII and the 380 always rides along in my front pocket (in a Desantis pocket holster of course).

I think some people bash Keltec due to the low price but I have more than several other name-brand pistols that cost a lot more but don't shoot any better.