Practically Shooting

Bought a Colt 1911 Rail Gun

Pablo

I figured I would get grief on the mounting rails. I actually think they look very nice on a SS 1911, as strange as that may seem. Of course they aren't traditional, but at some point, what is, other than the basic 1911 roots when buying new?

Check out the review on 1911.com when you get a chance - shoot I read that after I bought (buy now) the thing on GB. But generally a good review. Tigger pull may be heavy though.

Any other weaknesses?

It has everything I want from a frontline manufacturer. I want to support "the new Colt".

Congratulations. I had no use for rails at all, then won a railed 1911 in a raffle about four years ago. While I doubt I ever would have bought one, it has been handy to have. It's especially nice on trips, where it's a lot easier to take that gun into the hotel room than the AR-15 or shotgun with mounted light.

At home, it has spent some time in a chest rig, so I have an all-in-one grab-and-go handgun, light (two), cellphone, and mags for both handgun and carbine.

Anyway...

Love them Colts. They may not all have every bell and whistle made, but they have everything that's truly needed, made of good stuff for the most part, and perhaps best of all, they are usually fitted not to tight and not to loose; just right.

Quote:
Any other weaknesses?

Yeah, every time you think about shooting it you're gonna have a hormone attack. When yer away from it the longing to be close to it is gonna spoil yer day. And then there is the urge to mate. No, not with the gun but to have more....many more......many, many more........more, more....And then there's the saliva that runs outa yer mouth when yer at a gunshop and they have a different model....that you need....more of....and more...

• 2 weeks later...

Actually after disassembly, blowing it down with Amsoil MP and relubing the stocks with lemon oil, the smell is gone.

Awww, why'd you go and do that? You just...just...ripped out it's soul! wink

The first AR-15 I bought (1984) had a distinctive smell to it. It faded, but when I shot it, even as little as a round or two, there it was again. It finally went away after several years, and I actually missed it.

Wow I tore throw 5 boxes of ammo today for my first shoot. This is going to be a problem. The gun feeds and shoots like a dream. Not one hitch.

There is a negative. The brushed stainless "mars" really easily. I can't call it scratched, but anything remotely hard is going to leave a mark. I need to learn about care on this finish.

The only time the gun was jumpy was with some Sellier & Bellot Czech Ammo. It's not labeled as +P, but WOW it's HOT. Not subtlety so....no difference in the other brands I was shooting, then I loaded that.....BAM.

Lastly - I'm not near as fast as I need to be field stripping the gun. FN and Sig are so easy, this 1911, it's a tool.

Might as well skip to the next step in shooting- reloading. Might wanna pick up a Lyman Loading Manual and start reading. Then you'll really see some accuracy from that palm thumper and then, like I said earlier, you'll want another one...and then another one...and then. It's a disease and it sounds like you have it. Welcome to the insanity.