Practically Shooting

Nice 1911 review

G-MAN

I don't really find his results amazing- I'm a Colt kinda guy. I have the Colt Special Combat Gov't models in 38 Super and 45ACP. Both shoot far better than most are capable of holding either offhand or from bags. They are almost rifle accurate with the right ammo. The 45 likes 200 gr bullets better than the 230's but groups at 25 yds are still under an inch with 230's. If you are looking to spend a little more than $1500.00 for one averagely, they are worth the wait to get as they are truly a Custom Shop pistol....unlike a Kimber Custom Shop which comes off of an assembly line.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtSpecialCombatGovernment.aspx

While I'll be the first to admit Colt has had some problems over the years, I think the are making some fine guns now. I've had three new Colt 1911s in the past two or three years (WWI Repro, 38 Super Gov't, and a Delta Elite) and they've all been really good guns. The shoot well, work well, and are finished very nicely.

I got that new 38 Super within a week of a mid-90s 38 Super that was like new. The difference between them is amazing.

I think Colts are running somewhere between 800 and 900 for 1991s or Gov'ts around here, which isn't that much over an SA Loaded. I'd rather have the Colt. The Colt might have less gee-whiz stuff on it, but I think it's a nicer made gun.