Practically Shooting

Ammo Recommendation

brueggma

Greetings,

I believe this may be my first post? Please go easy on me. smile

I'm searching for a long gun to add to my collection, but I'm unsure of the caliber to choose from. I'm looking for something large enough to take down a deer but versitale (think cheap) enough to shoot at the range, or any other fun I can think of.

After some googling, I'm still lost. I know some folks like 30-30, other 30-06, then 243, etc..

Once I decide on a caliber, next comes a model. I did see remington 770's on sale for ~$250 on sale during Xmas, and now I see some Savage 11/111's on sale. My reasoning for these models is the gun/scope combo for ~250-$300.

Thanks,

Lost

Well, you asked a question people have argued over since there were cartridges to argue over.

A .22 will kill a deer, as will a .700 Nitro, as could a .30-06 that falls somewhere in the middle. I bet someone could make a strong argument for any of the three.

Before I would say "you need a ______" (not that I would) I would want more info. What ranges will you expect to be shooting, what size deer, etc. Sometimes, the best choice can be made based on checking what is most commonly stocked in stores in your area.

A few thoughts though:

Deer aren't elephants. It has only been in the last few years my state has allowed rifles for deer, and then it's basically lever, bolt, or single shot actions in handgun calibers of a certain size (a lever action .44 Mag for example). A lot of people have made it a crusade to get the biggest thing that will fit within the limits. The .458 SOCOM just fits, and I bet sales charts for that caliber would show a peculiar spike for Indiana. You can get top dollar for one right before deer season. I know of two places making custom guns in their own chamberings designed to be the biggest allowed by the regs. If you bring a .357 Mag lever action, these people will think you're nuts.

Don't ask me why.

Whatever you get, shoot it. And don't just sit at the bench and shoot a big black bullseye. Lay in the dirt, kneel down, or stand and shoot. Practice quick shots. In the three years since I joined the local conservation club, I have seen two people beside myself who did not fire every round from the bench. In the two weeks before deer season, the place is busy with guys who sit at the bench, fire three shots, getting the third one on paper and calling it good. It's not good.

A gun/scope combo for $250? You mean both for $250? I don't know what you can get for that. I'd feel OK about some $250 rifles. I'd feel OK about a $200 scope (and there is nothing wrong with iron sights if they are decent ones to start with and your eyes are better than mine).

All that said, and back to calibers...

If nothing else, I think of this when the question comes up: There was a wise old outdoorsman and Army officer from 100 years ago named Townsend Whelen. He had the time, the means, and the employers that allowed him to shoot any gun he wanted for testing or for fun. He shot everything at everything. He had rifles made up that were custom in every respect, including one-of-a-kind cartridges they used. And he said...

"The .30-06 is never a mistake."

I won't get into the caliber argument, but as far as the rifle goes, if you are in the market for an inexpensive bolt action you will be hard pressed to find one better than a Savage Axis. I would add the Stevens 200, which is made by Savage, but the Axis is going for a little less than the Stevens.

Personally from what I have experienced I would not buy the Rem 770. My nephew has one in .243 and it will group no better than about 2" and that's not including the flyers. Also a buddy at the range had one that grouped about the same. Plus the rifle just feels flimsy to me.

I have been shooting my brothers Axis in 22-250 and it will shoot 3/4" groups all day with factory ammo. I find that to be the norm with Savage though.

I don't hunt in Illinois, but I believe this verbiage from the law pretty much sums it up:

Quote:
a. to possess a rifle in the field during gun deer season EXCEPT

muzzleloading rifles used by deer hunters only. No person may have

in his possession any firearm not authorized by administrative rule for

a specific hunting season when taking deer.

• 2 months later...

Run a search using the same words he uses in the description "Weatherby Vanguard 30/06 Bushnell". It will automatically search for current auctions. When those results come up, look a little below the box with your search words. There will be a box that says "Period" with "Current Auctions" in the box. Click that box's arrow and you'll get some choices of search periods. Pick "Ended in last 30 days (or 60 or 90 days) and check to see if it shows up there.

If it's been listed for two months and never got a nibble, he might be interested. He could just be renewing it every time it expires without a lot of hope.

If it's a first time listing, he might not budge.

Also

If you dont know, the Wearherby Vanguard is more or less the same as a Howa 1500. I dont know if they sell for less with the Howa name than the Weatherby name but it might be worth a look.