Practically Shooting

Yugo M24/47

CamuMahubah

Yugo M24/47

7.92x57mm JS aka 8mm Mauser

Sorry the pics are blurry. Had to use the wifey's BlackBerry as my camera died but here she is! This is my first rifle. There are many like her but this one is MINE! LMAO I've really enjoyed this gun so far. And ummm...shoots pretty good...the other day I ranked fourth outta ten Mausers and all I had to do was adjust the rear sight. Fire a practice/spotting shot. Aim a lil bit to the left because of the wind and squeeze gently on the wonderful two stage trigger until she went bang and the gong went GLANG! About a second later...

It was awesome and I threw in a pic with the AR beside the Mauser so you would have an idea of size.

I wish I knew more about the history of the M24/47 but it's a bit cloudy to say the least and maybe Ill add what little I know about the M24/47 later. I just wanted to get the pics up finally. cool

Nice looking rifle. And I know it's nice shooting from the Stalingrad results.

I can't tell you much history, since the one I bought was rough as a cob and not restoration worthy so I headed straight to tearing into it without digging too deep into the history. There is some info out there on the M48 Yugos, but not so much on these. I think (that's think) the 24/47s were older models that were rebuilt to the specs of the soon-to-be-adopted M48, but I may have that all wrong.

I know their actions are a little shorter than standard K98 Mauser actions. Parts like new stocks for normal Large Ring Mausers don't fit. I thought it would make a good .308 action, so rebarreled mine with a .308 barrel from a Spanish FR8 and turned it into an international melting pot.

Oh yeah,

I never thought a straight bolt handle would be a problem on an open-sighted rifle. Then I found something I had not thought about: That bolt handle sticking out doesn't go well with some gun cases. I either leave the bolt open to sort of flatten things out or just pull it out.

Right now I've got the bore soaking in Ballistol. I always use Windex after shooting the corrosive then I use a generous amount of Ballistol in the bore and whap it out with a rubber lined cable pulling a clean patch through until it comes out almost white.

I decided this AM to do another Ballistol soak to see if I can shine up the bore a bit. I usually only use patches and the barrel has only seen the brush less than ten pulls. I can finally see that the front sight is crooked and I've got to find a way of straightening it without breaking it. That would prolly be why it shoots so wierd. I know it is supposed to shoot high and it does but the shots are always at 3 o'clock high when I aim 7 o'clock low so I'll get it figured out this Spring.

I don't know if I wanna keep shooting this gun or just keep it and look at it once in awhile...

I know Mitchell's Mauser are not really the authentic pieces that he claims them to be but I sure wouldn't mind having one for milshoots. I seen one of his 24/47's for $599 and the wood was absolutely gorgeous! Absolutely stunning rifle! I think if I could save up for one of those and it proved accurate I would have my competition gun. I'd rather just sit on my original and slowly restore it without changing anything. Not really a restoration but get all the cosmo off it and keep the barrel nice. I've gotten most of the visible cosmo off but on a hot day the stock oozes...

They may be all snapped up. They were like most surplus rifles in the last 15-20 years: The racks were full of one type, then another type gradually replaced them as the first ones sold and another country got rid of theirs.

In about 1989-90, it was the Garands and M1 Carbines from Korea.

Then the SKSs came in.

Then Enfields of all varieties. This would be about 2000.

There were some German Mausers and Swedish Mausers sprinkled in about this time, then the Yugo, Turkish, and Czech Mausers filled the racks.

Some Swiss K-31s slipped in there too.

Now the places I saw all of those in the past have nothing but Mosin-Nagants and maybe a few leftover Turk Mausers.

Six months from now, who knows?

Look at the websites of some of the surplus sources like AIM Surplus, InterOrdnance, Samco, and Century Int'l Arms to get an idea of what is coming in now. I think the Czech VZ24s are about as close to a Yugo as is coming in now.

EDIT: Samco shows some M24/47s from $180-210.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-M24-47.html

From looking at their other rifles, it looks like they put some of every type of gun back until everyone else runs out, then charge 2-3 times what they were when they were common. That's too bad, but not a bad business idea and it lets some of us procrastinators get things they missed. I sure would like another K-31...and Swedish Mauser...and...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been pondering getting a couple of these while they can still be had. smile

I'll revisit this with an update. I've acquired one of these M24/47's from J&G and it performs far better than my German K98K in just about every way with the same ammo. Aim is true, less misfires, less weight, and much less kick. A definite winner. smile