Practically Shooting

Ruger SR-40 short-Review

Bill_in_Utah

I don't really review weapons too well (esp when compaired to others on this forum) but I thought I'd let you know how I like the SR40 I got once they were announced.

Nice shooter. Slightly less felt recoil than any other .40 S&W I've shot (Glock 22/23, M&P 40/40c, BHP, XD and 1911 along with others)

Comes with 2 easy to load 15+1 cap clips/mags. Rear site is adjustable for elevation. Good 3 dot sights. Thumb safety is easy to use both left and light. Mag release on both sides easy to use.

Like the curved backstrap over the flat. Ruger's SR series have a good grip profile for me. Very good trigger. The loaded chamber indicator works but I wished it was a little less. Not a fan of the mag safety (will take it out someday)

Shot about 1000 rounds through it now. It is more accurate than I am (as most weapons are for everyone) and I have not had any malfunctions with factory loads or my reloads. One thing I have noticed is it THROWS brass into the next zipcode. I'm talking like 15-25 feet at your 5 o'clock position. My brass catcher misses the brass unless I sit down or shoot RIGHT next to it.

Seems to love my lead reloads with slight leading after 300-400 rounds before cleaning. Easy to take down and it does have metal in both points for the slide. Metal recoil spring guide (single spring)

All in all for me a keeper and shooter. Very happy with the purchase and a few guys who have shot mine went and bought their own.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Take care, bill

Nice Nice! I have heard that it is a soft shooting .40

I'm really surprised that the OP says it shoots softer than the M&P40.

I would have to shoot both before I believed that...Edit: Just read that the Kimber/Ruger weighs 1.25 oz more than the M&P. That and a good design could surely contribute to softer recoil. Hmmm...maybe I should take another look at the SR40...

Fun Fact: Kimber sold the design to Ruger. Edit: Internet conjecture!

The SR9 feels really good in my hands and I will prolly be getting one soon...

Originally Posted By: CamuMahubah
Fun Fact: Kimber sold the design to Ruger.

Can you provide a reference for that factoid?

Wow that was a FAIL on my part! I read that so many times when researching the SR9 that I started taking it as fact. That is a simple human error and can be done by anyone but I don't wanna spread the myth anymore than the next guy... :spank:

LOL Though I bet it is really true if you look at pics of the Kimber KPD and the Ruger SR9...somebody was copying somebody...or is it Convergent Evolution? smirk

Yah let's stick with that story! It was a cold rainy evening and Convergent Evolution occurred sometime after midnight...

Or it could be just a case of Glock Mimicry!

When you look at the SR9 from the other side it definitely looks like a copy...

http://hueysgunsight.blogspot.com/2010/09/ruger-sr9a-great-pistol-that-wont-kill.html

Really though I don't know what I am on about as I had heard Ruger bought the design from Kimber... I thought it was fact and have been proven wrong. Now that I know it may or may not be true that it is a conspiracy I still don't care. The gun is a good one from what I have read and heard mostly. So I conjecture that the Ruger SR9 is a good gun...

When you look at the SR9 from the other side it definitely looks like a copy...

http://hueysgunsight.blogspot.com/2010/09/ruger-sr9a-great-pistol-that-wont-kill.html

Really though I don't know what I am on about as I had heard Ruger bought the design from Kimber... I thought it was fact and have been proven wrong. Now that I know it may or may not be true that it is a conspiracy I still don't care. The gun is a good one from what I have read and heard mostly. So I conjecture that the Ruger SR9 is a good gun...

From the blog you linked above: "...and the [Ruger] M77 rifle is a copy of the tried and true Mauser bolt action." ABSOLUTELY a false statement. Where do people come up with this stuff? It looks like a Mauser so it must be a copy. It looks like the KPD so it must be a copy.

I didn't read the blog I just linked it because of the KPD pics...maybe I should have...

Anyways I want this debate to end so I am conceding to you G-MAN.

I stand corrected...

The SR9 is not a Kimber design or product. It is merely convergent evolution as discussed previously...

Phewww! Glad that's over with!

I didn't read the blog I just linked it because of the KPD pics...maybe I should have...

Anyways I want this debate to end so I am conceding to you G-MAN.

I stand corrected...

The SR9 is not a Kimber design or product. It is merely convergent evolution as discussed previously...

Phewww! Glad that's over with!

No problem. I just want true "gun guys" to make a concerted effort NOT to perpetuate Internet rumors about guns. Is it possible that Ruger and Kimber worked out a deal once Kimber decided not to put the KPD into production? Sure. And there is nothing wrong with framing the topic like that. But absent some solid references it's just not good to state something as fact when it's just supposition.

An example is the JC Higgins Model 20 shotgun I posted about. I kept reading on several forums and blogs that this gun was either directly based on the Remington Model 31 or another Remington patent that was never produced. I bought this for a while and then decided to start searching the patents issued to High Standard, the maker of the gun. And wadda ya know...it's an original design by a High Standard engineer who had worked at Winchester. So why were people spreading it around that it was based on the 31? Because the gun, and especially the action itself, looks like the 31! But if you compare the patent drawings you can see the differences and what you realize is that the designer of the Model 20 was drawing on both the Winchester Model 12 and the Remington Model 31 as the inspiration for his original design.

Nice review.

I honestly haven't followed Ruger centerfire autos much since a bad experience with a P90 (I know, I shouldn't base much on a single gun), but that looks pretty nice. It looks pretty slim- Is it?

It is. My P90 has been great but its my 2nd one. Sold off my first one a LONG time ago and bought another some time later.

Some measurements of a M&P 40 vs SR40

Grip at thickest point. 1.470 vs 1.270

Slide thickness. 1.180 vs 1.160

Pretty well everything else is the same as overall length and height.

Bill

Ummm...based on looks the M&P takes it!

The SR40 looks like one of those things they use at the grocery store to check prices. That or a staple gun...

Actually I shouldn't say that I know better...cause pictures don't do either gun justice. In real life the M&P doesn't look near as fat and the SR9 is a really good looking gun once you get your paws wrapped around it.