Practically Shooting

Kel-Tec Makes A Shottie!

CamuMahubah

I don't usually like bullpups for a couple of reasons, but this one has me thinking.

I like the dual mag tubes, for the choice of buck or slug. Some have complained the tubes don't automatically switch over, but I like it as it is so I can choose.

I'll have to look at one before deciding much, because bullpups tend to either feel really good or really bad to me and I never know until I actually see them.

My other holdup is the bullpup issue of touching off a 12,000 psi shell with my skull pressed against the chamber. The two or three millimeters of metal separating the shell and I provides little comfort. At least it beats doing it with a 50,000 psi rifle cartridge.

I've read a bunch of fuss that started at the SHOT Show concerning the trigger function on these. From what I'm hearing, it does this:

You fire a shot, then if you don't let the trigger return before pumping the action, the trigger goes dead. The action then has to be cycled again, ejecting a live shell, to reset it.

I've tried to get clarification from people who were at the show, but I'm still not absolutely certain about some details. I'm not sure if the trigger has to be completely reset, or just starting to move any at all. I'm not sure if there has to be zero pump movement or if it can be starting back.

What I really want to know is how it functions in real deal shooting. What guns do when handled empty or at a show (where the guns must be deactivated) is one thing, and what they do under the slam bang of shooting is another. For all I know, the recoil forces cause enough movement to make it all a non-issue.

Nevertheless, some people are jumping up and down about this "serious flaw" and pronouncing it unfit for defensive use and advising people to steer clear.

Maybe they are right. Maybe they are making a big fuss over nothing. I truly don't see how we'll know until guns are sold and actually shot.

I don't like buying any brand new design of gun anyway. Let others find and work out any unforeseen bugs. Even if I would get one, by that time, we should know what's what.