Practically Shooting

Do-All impact seal targets

wwillson

I've been thinking about getting a couple of these impact seal targets; probably a prairie dog and a round target. Click here for the Do-All website, then click on "shooting gallery" and you'll see the targets.

Does anyone have these "impact seal" targets? The idea is great, but I wonder if they are as durable as they claim?

Wayne

I don't have that particular type, but I have a pair of Newbold targets hanging up by the woods. I've been shooting at them for years now, using a suppressed .22 rifle. I leave them hanging all the time, year-round. They make it nice to get a couple of magazines' worth of offhand practice by just sliding the back door open.

They have faded from red to pink, but I expect that from staying out all the time.

I always thought the Newbolds were expensive, but I found these in the clearance box at a gun shop. Even if I had paid full price, I would have gotten my money's worth several times over.

They have held up well, but they only see .22s. I would guess that the larger the caliber (and less rounded the bullet) the shorter their life would be.

EDIT: Wow, that's a poor picture. Nice focus job.

Self healing rubbery/plasticy about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.

Edit: Found 'em. The ones I have are these very targets, I think:

http://www.newboldtargets.com/more-infor...-target-red.htm

The price is not as bad as I remember, at $11.95. In the smaller sizes like mine, they came two to a package. I don't see anything about that price being for two now. Maybe they went to one per package and dropped the price a little.

I wish I had a better picture. When you see my targets up close, the only indication of hits are these little black specks all over them. A closer look shows they are holes a little larger than pinholes. If you take hold with a hand on each side and bend the target like cracking a stick in half, the holes spread open and you can see they are bullet holes.

The only sign of real damage are edge hits, where a teeny tiny piece gets taken out.

That size is good for .22s I think because they are light enough to move when hit, but heavy enough that you don't have to wait for them to straighten out. I'll shoot one, then shoot the other, then come back to the first one and it's nearly still. A heavier caliber would throw this size around pretty good.