Practically Shooting

MidwayUSA

Pablo

Larry,

First of all, I just entered my first web order with your company. Great web site, cool looking company.

I do have a beef. The amount of items on back order is crazy ridiculous. I mean not to be insulting, but what, you can't have a warehouse larger than my shop? Or can you not have your suppliers on hair trigger for drop shipping? Or are you just having logistics issues? There are four items I decided to wait on. I had to change my mind on almost EVERYTHING else I choose and finally I just grabbed a good alternative - meaning I didn't buy exactly what I wanted. If that in itself isn't bad enough, you are charging me OUTRAGEOUS freight on the four back ordered items, a separate nasty shipping charge. It's as if you are doubling up on customers because YOU ran out. Think about it - I'm penalized monetarily (and time wise) - because you have no stock. I can tell you one thing, your largest competitor does not do this.

Can you check my order out and look into the freight charges, please. I would love for you to convince me why I should stay as a customer.

Customer #: 10XXXX757

Invoice #: 12XXXX78

Invoice Date: 1/16/2011 8:21:51 AM

Regards,

Paul

Except for an odd situation ammo order I've had zero issues with Midway.

What were you trying to order?

Some odds and ends, two carbon fiber rods,ear muffs, gun bench rests, gun cases, Remington moisture guards, etc

Odd thing - they had some good deals on ammo and that was in stock.

I pretty much abandoned Midway after the first time I ordered from them. You should check out CDNN and Brownells.

Brownells looks to be well stocked. They have a TON of gun juices, a bunch I've never seen reviewed.

CDNN is just plain interesting.

I pretty much abandoned Midway after the first time I ordered from them.

I think that will be my fate as well. I haven't heard back from them on my beef letter.

They have been prompt with the order updates, and the in stock stuff has shipped.

I've had good luck and OK luck with them. Never anything terrible.

I did get mad at them for a while several years back. When I first heard of them in the late 80s, they were super cheap. Even less than the places I had been using (Natchez Shooters Supply, and Spartan Supply, which I think were the same outfit in two different locations).

After around a year of cheap prices at Midway, I noticed some things weren't priced as well as they were.

Then most things had crept up in price.

Interesting. What it looked like to me was they were undercutting the competition to get everybody buying there, then raising the prices back up higher than the competition. Standard sales trickery since the dawn of time, I know, but that didn't make it any better and I still didn't like it.

I quit buying from them until maybe five years ago. Now their scheme always seems to be shipping costs. They are one of the worst, if not the worst. They announced a change a while back, but I don't know if they are any better.

When ordering things, I start an order at several places and go all the way to almost the end to see what the total will be, then compare that. You sure can't compare until then.

I seldom buy one item at a time, and wait until I need a few things. Midway will often be the cheapest on one item, but rarely will they have the lowest total price since they hit you somewhere. Usually when I do pick them to order from, it's because they have everything and the other places are all out of stock on one item or another. They win through process of elimination.

And one more thing:

Larry annoys me death on TV by rolling his head from one side to the other all the time.

Response:

It's true, we are having trouble keeping items on the shelves, particularly reloading components, anything that might be affected by another "assault weapons" ban and loaded ammo. I think this is due to a combination of factors, including wartime demand for munitions that are made on the same assembly lines as commercial ammunition, the meteoric rise in raw materials that have raised ammunition prices so high that there is an influx of new reloaders buying more reloading equipment/components than the factories projected and course the big reason, the last Presidential election that has a lot of shooters very concerned. The factories have all added additional shifts and are operating at capacity, but the demand does not seem to be slowing down. I might order fifty cases of ammunition, and the factory can only send me five. If everyone would just buy what they need, we could get thru these shortages quickly, but people are upset they can't get ammo/supplies like they usually do, so they are making the problem worse by trying to stock up even more. Please accept my apology for the lack of stock, and I appreciate your patience as the supply lines catch up with demand. It is troubling to me that we are a nation of over 60 million gunowners, and 14 million hunters, yet membership in the NRA hovers around four million. Instead of panic buying in fear that politicians are going to infringe on our rights, we need to get our heads out of the sand and join the NRA. We need to use the political process to make our voices heard, and until we organize and do that, I think we will always have the danger of politicians trying to ban guns.

Thanks for Your Business,

Larry Potterfield

Founder/CEO

MidwayUSA

NRA Benefactor Member

Nice that he answered your email/letter personally. I bought my detachable carry handle from Midway for $40 when most other sites wanted from between 59 to 110 bucks...so I kinda like the joint but that is the beauty of the net...competition. Also there are a ton of gun forums and if a good deal pops up anywhere links are placed immediately. Tons of reloaders prolly all over that stuff you were looking for Pabs. I am in no way defending Midway as I have only ordered from them once...but I think you gotta look at the bigger picture...heckuva lot better than ordering online from Cabela's I will say that!

I will just shop sparingly with them. I will say this for Cabelas - they plain [censored] have some good phone customer service. They just owe me one box of 44 mag, due to arrive today. I had a gift card and a coupon thingy, so combined I did get a good deal from Cabelas after all said and done - plus all these shipments - they only charged me ONE low S&H fee, and that was really my main gripe with MidwayUSA.

On the plus side: I got 44 mag ammo for days. That plus my free 9mm ammo and all the low cost 38 and 357 and more 9mm on the way, I'm building a new stash quickly. Dang - I have many bricks of 22 and cases of 12 ga shells. What's a poor guy gonna do - SHOOT!! t-upgrin

I received all the in stock stuff on Thursday. Shipping was $18.86 for this portion of the order: 5 boxes (50 rnds ea.) of 9mm,357,38 spcl ammo, ear muffs, two soft MidwayUSA pistol cases and 357 snap caps.

Should have gotten 38 Special snap caps. Now tell me why I say that. grin

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I received all the in stock stuff on Thursday. Shipping was $18.86 for this portion of the order: 5 boxes (50 rnds ea.) of 9mm,357,38 spcl ammo, ear muffs, two soft MidwayUSA pistol cases and 357 snap caps.

Should have gotten 38 Special snap caps. Now tell me why I say that. grin

More options/usefulness. In other words: Because they don't make .38 Long Colt snap caps!

I can usually find better deals elsewhere but the vast majority of service I've had from them has been pretty good. The one exception was when their website indicated they had eight-pound kegs of TiteGroup in stock so I ordered two but a day or two later they indicated it was NOT in stock so they refunded my $$ (minus the NRA "round-up"). I wasn't too happy about it but managed to find 16 lbs. of the stuff somewhere else.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

In my recent experience, Midway has been great.

Nearly everything is out of stock or marked up to ludicrous prices...

Case in point: Glock 19 magazines. $60 at my local gun store (when in stock). Sign up for Midway's notification. Get e-mail. Order 2 Glock 19 magazines for $24.95 ea. Limit 2.

Thank you Midway for selling things at a realistic price when the world has gone crazy!