Practically Shooting

Wolf pistol primers - quality?

wwillson

See, there you go believing what you read on the internet. Have you ever tried it yourself? For $10.00 you can put the rumors to rest, just buy 2 boxes and try it.

I've been using their primers (SP, SR, 5.56 SR, LR, LP and MIL LR) for the last 3+ years without any complaint. about 12000 so far the only "problem" I've had is they are sometimes a tad bit oversize in the SR offering. That might be from tooling wear.

Their loaded ammo is what it is. Cheap, dirty, steel cased plinking ammo. I've never had a round of 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R not fire in one of my guns. Saying that, I do not use it in any of my non-milsurp weapons.

The trouble with it is snobbery and the fact that folks think it ought to be match grade, but it is built to milspec and that is minute of man at 300 yards.

Woodsoup,

Now that's some interesting feedback - thanks. No, I have never used them, but have read negative posts on the internet. Yes, I'm at fault for taking what I read at face value.

I wonder how they will do in the cold weather up here? I don't use or need magnum primers, and I would assume they will work similarly to other standard primers.

I will follow your advice and try some out.

Wayne

2 years ago, my SKS and I made a February trip out to Woodland Park Co. Both my handloads, using IMR 3031 powder, with Wolf LR primers and the Wolf Military ammo had no problems. with the temperatures out there.

Sorry, I was suggesting you buy some wolf ammo to try, Wolf primers are hard to find in most locals. But that's what the internet is for. Wideners or Powder Valley may have some.

Don't forget, there is a $22.50 HazMat fee added on. Be it 1K or 50K primers. I usually ask around and get enough guys go in on an informal group buy. I buy it and the hazmat and shipping gets evenly divided by the number of folks I'm ordering for, no matter how much they order. Usually ends up about $4.50 added to their total item costs. You can ship primers and powder in the same container under 1 hazmat fee. I think it's 55 lbs of powder and 50K primers.

Most of the US primers are going into ammo manufacturing. Rumor has it that CCI is about to catch-up, and will be putting out more primers to the public. Now understand, that is an internet rumor.

We normally do a group buy at the trap range. It gets pretty big, so we get great deals on components AND we don't have to pay hazmat or shipping (it's enough that they send a truck just for us).

I would think they would all catch up soon. I don't think the current ammo buying levels can be sustained.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't use Wolf 209 shotguns primers if someone gave them to me. Some shooter's at our club bought some and they were not very good. 1-2 misfires per 25 in all types of guns and ammo types. Maybe it was just a bad lot, but that was enough for me. No internet rumor, I actually was there when this happened. I have NEVER had a primer caused misfire with either a Winchester or Remington 209 after 30k+ reloads.

I do have friends that use Wolf primers in reloading pistol ammo and they have nothing but good things to say about them. HUMM...