Practically Shooting

SIG P225

Pablo

Very cool.

He just emailed me and said he's getting 4 more and will give me pick of the litter before putting them in the display case possibly $300 or so. I know he's out to make a buck like the next Joe, but this gun dealer has really clicked with me. Take that Cabelas! Plus he's 20 minutes from the house, vs 1.5 or so hours to Cabelas.

Very cool.

He just emailed me and said he's getting 4 more and will give me pick of the litter before putting them in the display case. I know he's out to make a buck like the next Joe, but this gun dealer has really clicked with me. Take that Cabelas! Plus he's 20 minutes from the house, vs 1.5 or so hours to Cabelas.

That's awesome! My local dealer is ignorant of many laws and mostly sells consignment guns for higher than new prices...

One of Sig's best guns. Grab one. It's a single stack version of the original 226.

I have one that I bought in 1993. $600 bucks back then! I have rather small hands, and this pistol fit my hands perfectly. I can close my eyes, bring up the gun, and the sights are aligned perfectly. It's never malfunctioned. I've tried to fool it by loading 8 different loads including 115, 124, and 147 grain loads in the same magazine. A couple of attempts included rounds that had already jammed in a friends Glock, and a few green ones I picked up off the range. I briefly entertained trading it for one of the newer, slightly smaller, set up for CCW guns. The dealer got this funny look on his face and explained in rather colorful language, that I was crazy to even think of getting rid of a 225 for one of their newer guns.

Mine had a rather rough trigger from the factory. I sent it back to them after about 10 years of living with it. They said it met specifications for pull(which it did), so no warranty. They did offer to do a full action job which included polishing the extractor and feed ramp for $80. The action job did the trick. I also replaced the stock sights with a set of Truglo's. Much better for my aging eyes.

The 225 was issued to the West German police. It's been out of the catalog for a while. I saw it back in the catalog a few years ago, but understand that getting one was impossible. The limited run was all being sent to the Canadian Air Force and our Special Forces(not sure on that one).

If you can get extra magazines with it do so. Nobody stocks them. They can be easily ordered from Sig directly or by a dealer, but cost a bit more than the more common ones due to economy of scale. Buy Sig only, no aftermarket.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I know somewhere I mentioned I bought this gun. It's a 1983 model very similar to G-man's review from 2010. Mine has a bit more holster wear.

Mechanically the gun is quite sound. It came with a new spring (unlike G-man's). The barrel looks fairly new as well. It does have a little kick to it, but fun to shoot. I only have two mags, wish I had four.

I've put four brands of ammo (around 170 shots fired) through the gun and I must say I've never had a set of sights that suck so bad. Line them up, whatever - it's just that they are hard to see for my eyeballs. I see how Sig solved it in new P225's - they white dotted them and that makes a HUGE difference! I'm going to paint white dots on mine or get a pro upgrade.

Anyway I had fun at the new range today!!!

http://www.wctle.com/home

My stock Glock sights are pretty much just white paint or white colored plastic...so try painting them first. Get out the wite out! Or get crazy and steal "SWMBO's" toenail paint! Neon orange!

Edit: Don't buy finger nail polish! You get caught with it and it ain't hers she will wanna know whose! Don't ask me how I know! You will have to steal it from her instead...

My stock Glock sights are pretty much just white paint or white colored plastic...so try painting them first. Get out the wite out! Or get crazy and steal "SWMBO's" toenail paint! Neon orange!

Edit: Don't buy finger nail polish! You get caught with it and it ain't hers she will wanna know whose! Don't ask me how I know! You will have to steal it from her instead...

That's what I did!! But I used the daughter's white nail polish, then on the front sight put a neon red dot on top of the white. Looks slick. Much improved!

Wow that is so awesome Pabs! I have heard so often of ranges where you can rent guns! I see a few guns I want you to shoot but I think you prolly need some time alone with that sweet Blackhawk for a bit... cool

Definitely awesome though! If I had access to range like that I can almost guarantee you I would have bought the Glock 19 instead of the Glock 23...

I wouldn't part with my G23 for nothing now though...well maybe...

That's not really bad for your first outing...you should at least be minute of zombag your first outing and that you were my friend!

How do you like the Ballistol?

minute of zombag? Is that good or bad? grin

Ballistol has a certain aroma. I can't decide if it stinks or it will give me cancer.

I'm trying my homemade sights out tomorrow.

I shot even better today. Not so low. Just bagged it and wore my regular glasses. I went with a guy from work and shot his .40 Glock, 38/357 Vaquero and ancient 9 shot 22 revolver. We had a hoot.

He was freakin' amazed at the accuracy of the Ruger convertible at 25 yards.

Yes. Gosh I wanna say 14,15, 16 or something. I lost count is all I know.

Strong recoil, but not as sharp maybe as a 357 mag. But frankly, I like more time at home to get comfortable with the grip and the mechanics of a gun before I fire it. So hard for me to comment much deeper.

I think most .40s recoil sharper than .45s. Not necessarily more, but sharper/quicker, so it might feel like more.

But recoil is a subjective thing. What one person feels is different from what the next feels. I don't, but I have heard more than a few people say they think 9mm recoil is harder to take than .45, for the same reason I just gave with .40.