Practically Shooting

Red Dot or 3x9 for AR

CamuMahubah

Have you tried an EOTECH sight ? I am not sure about 200 yards but up to a 100 yards they turn me into a good shooter . Magnifaction may be better for pins though and a fair quality scope would be cheaper .

I would love love love to try an EOTECH! And I don't use the term "love" casually...but I thought I would try one of Primary Arms Red Dots first before I spent the big money on an EOTECH.

The detachable carry handle sights are good. Not quite precise enough though for bowling pin killin' at 200 though.

Should I get a magnified Red Dot or variable powered scope?

Scopes help you see better, and red dots give you less to focus on and line up. What you need depends on what you're doing.

Truthfully, with your needs, I would look at low power variable scopes like a 1-4X. It should give plenty of magnification at 200, and when set at 1x or slightly higher it can be used a lot like a red dot with both eyes open.

I use an Aimpoint for closer stuff and have a Leupold 1-4x for the sort of thing you describe, but if I were buying an optic today for what you are wanting, I would look at a Millet DMS 1-4x scope. They have a lighted "donut" ring in addition to a Duplex crosshair type reticle. You use the donut up close and the crosshairs farther out. You still have the crosshairs if the batteries die or something. They are in the $240 range, which is pretty good for what it is, I think.

After that, I'd look at the Nikon MR-223, They make these in different sizes, but I'd look at the low power one, which I think is also 1-4x. The reticle isn't lighted but is fairly bold except for the very center where it gets finer, and the scope has a built-in drop compensating system. I think they are in the price range of the Millet but I'm not sure.

I don't own either of those scopes myself, but several people used them in 3-gun matches around here last year. I got to see how they did throughout the year and looked through a few. I was impressed enough that I want to buy one. The Millet has the lighted donut in addition to the regular reticle, but I feel the Nikon has better glass for a more clear view overall.

Trade offs.

Of course, the Trijicon TR24 with a green chevron reticle is really nice, but costs as much as some AR15s too!