Practically Shooting

Age old question - which semi auto for Pablo?

Pablo

The Hickok 1911 video got me really all fired up.

I've never owned a semiauto pistol. It will be mainly for fun plinking. 9mm is abundant and cheap. .45ACP is just very intriguing. Other rounds are interesting.

Main thing is cost of the gun I suppose. $400 or so max.

I love input from you guys (as opposed to semi random jokes on BITOG grin )

http://ruger.com/products/sr9/models.html

I see them for $400 NIB all day long on gunbroker. My local shop has them after tax for $429.

Important that the grip fits you. Go feel them all up! Go to Cabela's and hold them and dry fire if they will let you. They let me experience the trigger on every gun I was considering.

I really should have bought the S&W M&P9 or 40 but I really wanted a Glock. Prolly from watching too many Hickok45 videos...LOL The Glock does fit me well and I think you should get a gun that feels comfortable in your hand. And then imagine it going backwards and up at about 50 mph for like an inch and a half for .75 seconds. The ergos need to say "Go!" to your hands. Nah mean?

Happy Hunting For The Right Pistola!

All excellent input!!!! THANKS

Not to stray too far, but somebody at work said they bought an import 1911 .45 KIT for about $200 and assembled it at home. Cleaned a few things up and it was fun and shoots pretty good. He said he got it from a guy who's dad is a gun dealer but didn't mention a name or anything I could search for (I searched Gunbroker.com). Have you seen such a thing?

Pablo if I just absolutely had to have a 1911 I would save up the dough and get a nice one.

+1. IMO you really do get what you pay for with respect to firearms, and purchasing a reliable automatic pistol is no exception.

For the record, I have a SIG Pro SP2022 chambered in .40 which was not inexpensive relative to other autoloaders (but a good price for a SIG); however, it has been virtually 100% reliable (only one or two hiccups when I first got it). It is my primary CCW FWIW.

The thing about 1911s are,,, The really nice ones are really expensive. I know!!. Ammo wise 9mm and 40 S@W are easier to get and way cheaper than 45 acp. You can get a cheap 1911 that works O.K. But when you get into the Dan Wesson or Wilson Combat levels there is a biggggg difference . Kinda like driving a Ferrari on a windy road as compared to a 59 V.W. been there done that! IMO unless you want a real nice 1911 get a plastic auto which will do every thing the 1911 will do except cost at least a third of the cost. plastic guns are east to fix modify and repair. Again there is nothing like shooting a really nice 1911. In any caliber.

My recommendation would be to purchase a one year membership in the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation for $35. Click Here

When your membership card arrives, go to a GSSF supporting gun shop in your area and buy the Glock of your choice that includes 3 factory magazines instead of the standard 2, all for a nicely discounted price. I picked up a Gen 3 Glock 19 that including 3 magazines for $425 last month. All GSSF Glocks come with 3 magazines standard. Practice with it enough and you'll be able to out-shoot just about anybody. If you don't like it, you'll still be able to sell it for what you've got into it. My guess is that you'll have it for a very long time.

Good input from all. My LGD gave me what I consider a pretty good deal on a Euro Police Sig re-manufactured P225 9mm. Comes in a box (has the cop's name on the box) with 2 mags, and also a holster. The cool thing is the dealer let me piggyback on the Ruger buy, so I only had to do the transfer paperwork, not another background check.

Good input from all. My LGD gave me what I consider a pretty good deal on a Euro Police Sig re-manufactured P225 9mm. Comes in a box (has the cop's name on the box) with 2 mags, and also a holster. The cool thing is the dealer let me piggyback on the Ruger buy, so I only had to do the transfer paperwork, not another background check.

You're going to love the P225/P6. It's a real joy to shoot. If you saw my 629 shooting video I did at my uncle's farm over Thanksgiving, that was my cousin running the camera. We had just finished putting about 100 rounds through my P6 and he was hooked. He wants one bad.

Check out this web site.

Great. I see you you got the P225. Nice guns. I'm not a DA auto fan, but even I like those. Nice size for carrying, yet big enough to shoot easy enough.

In my fondness for single stack mid-size 9mms (they used to be compacts) I've tried most guns in it's class. If the particular Deuce and a Quarter (225) I had didn't have the heaviest DA pull I've ever felt on a Sig, I might still have it. Luck of the draw there, I guess.