Practically Shooting

Should I Trade My Glock For An M&P?

CamuMahubah

Guys I was at the range today talking to an ol'timer who had 12 Charles Daly bolt-action .22's! He said he bought them a long time ago when they were 160 bucks. Not sure if that was the seventies or eighties. They were made by CZ. Very beautiful gun. I was gonna ask if he wanted to sell one but instead I kept my mouth shut for once and just listened to his words of wisdom.

He said he bought so many cause his grandchildren were being born and he had nieces and nephews and he wanted to start them all out with one. I was standing there thinking to myself, hey this man is smart and wise! I'm gonna keep listening...

Subject got around to 9mm vs .45 and I went to the car and showed him my Glock. We got to talking about the .40 and I told him I really liked the gun but kinda wished I had bought the Smith&Wesson.

By this time another ol'timer had joined the conversation and he told me I didn't need to get attached to any gun and I had some trading material right there in my hand. The other wise man chimes in that in his years he has found that if you want a gun real bad you will find a way to pay for it.

So I'm sitting there thinking maybe I should trade this Glock or sell it and use the money to get that M&P. This Glock is the first gun I have ever bought brand new so I thought I should keep it but I'm not really that attached to it when I think about it...

We did have fun bantering in an impromptu caliber debate(s)! Both of these dudes were Army vets and both had been issued the M14 in boot camp to be later replaced by the M-16. So we started with a 9mm vs .45 debate and then a .223 vs .308 debate followed. I mostly kept my mouth shut and listened. I thought I had them on the 1911 vs Polymer when I field stripped the Glock right before their eyes in seconds!

"Son that ain't no big deal! You get used to the 1911 you can do it just as fast!"

I was gonna start in about magazine capacity but decided to excuse myself and go back to trying to get my Mauser on the target at 200 yards. Something I ain't been able to do on a regular basis. So now I'm thinking of getting an adjustable rear sight ghost ring set-up for the beast. As it is the thing is just a "kickin' noise maker"! That's what my lil brother calls it...

Anyways I know this is the Pistol Forum so I think I'll be putting that Glock on the block soon. The local FFL will sell it on commission and then I would use whatever I made to buy the M&P. I will stop in there tomorrow and see what kinda deal I can work up...

And I think this time I will go 9mm because I cain't reload just yet...

I think if I can get $450 for the Glock I'll be alright. Of course I don't know what percentage the dealer will take but I don't wanna sell the gun person to person I would rather have the transfer on paper so it ain't registered to me anymore.

Gotta get that M&P!

Many years ago I sold my first handguns looking for greener pastures that are rarely ever found. As the years go by, so many things in life change and I have always regretted selling those first couple handguns. Having something that you can say you bought new and still have decades later is worth more than you realize at the time.

I suggest you re-examine why you bought the Glock in the first place. If it not meeting the expectations you had for it when you purchased it then by all means sell it. But if it performs to as advertised then I would counsel keeping your first handgun.

My oldest Son is in the military and he likes Glocks. In fact while visiting him where he's stationed earlier this year, we were at a local range doing some shooting. A couple of retired Marines were there practicing with their tricked out 1911's that included laser site aids. They were shooting at 7 yards and getting good groups. Eventually they came over to my son and I to talk guns and compare groups. They showed off the small groups they had been getting with their pistols at 7 yards, examined my Son's Glock then asked how it shot. My son hit the switch to retrieve his target and they were amazed to see that his groups equaled theirs. The only difference was my son was shooting at 25 yards, not 7 yards and his Glock is completely stock.

With lots of practice and proper shooting technique, your Glock will do the same. I'd keep it.

It's not that the Glock doesn't do what it's supposed to do. It's just that I want the M&P. Even if I do end up keeping the Glock I will be getting a brand new M&P.

The Glock is the first gun I have ever bought brand new. It's a great gun and I've learned a whole lot shooting it. I've hit a bowling pin at 100 yards with it. That was very satisfying.

I just wanted to toss around the idea in my head a bit because from day one that I bought the Glock I've told myself and maybe I have said it here that I would never sell it. I wanted to question why I felt this way about an inanimate object as I see and read about so many others trading or selling off guns to get another gun.

The way things are looking I would prolly not be able to get what I wanted out of it so seriously doubt the Glock goes anywhere. I'm sure I would miss if I sold it but the plan was to replace it with an M&P 9mm. I think the M&P in that caliber would be a much better range gun. Most of my shooting is bowling pin bustin' and the .40 costs a bit more to feed and sometimes the recoil hurts a bit in a gun this light. I've gotten used to it but I want a bit heavier gun of the easier shooting 9mm variety. The M&P only weighs 4 more ounces but with the less recoil of the Parabellum I think it would amount to a great range shooter and that is primarily what I want it for...

Ah well...if I end up with both guns than I'll have two very nice handguns. If that happens the G23 will become the "Castle Defense Gun" and the M&P will be my "Bowling Pin Buster".

I went to the music store with my son and on the wall was a Fender Eric Clapton replica Strat. I picked it up and tried to play it . I had to complain to the store manager and tell him the guitar was broken because I didn't sound like Eric Clapton. Moral of the story a $1500.00 guitar doesn't make you a $1500.00 guitar player.

I would keep the Glock. 40S@W is a good caliber and I am sure you have ammo stocked up just because you should. During the Obama ammo shortage there was always some 40 S@W and 9mm at the 2 local Walmart because 40S@W is a homeland defense caliber And 9MM is military. You want at least 1 - 40S@W and at least 1 - 9MM along with at least 5 each magazines. Buy aaother Glock. They are point of aim interchangeable so you can automatically transistion between them without thought. I do that with XDs and 1911s as they have the same point of aim when you get the feel of them,Glocks are a bit different no biggie but since you have the Glock why fight it besides the 9mm Glock is the ultimate 9mm.

I went to the music store with my son and on the wall was a Fender Eric Clapton replica Strat. I picked it up and tried to play it . I had to complain to the store manager and tell him the guitar was broken because I didn't sound like Eric Clapton. Moral of the story a $1500.00 guitar doesn't make you a $1500.00 guitar player.

What!? The guy at the gun shop told me this $495 Glock would make me shoot like Hickok45! I just knew it! I got shammed again! shocked