Practically Shooting

.40 S&W and Hodgdon Longshot...

Crashbox

...anyone else here try this powder out? I tried using it with 180-grain FMJ's and I seem to be having moderate success. One thing I really like about this powder is the high velocity/pressure ratio- much easier on autoloading pistols IMO.

I've also read in other places about people saying it tends to give a very loud report but I have found it no different than anything else I put through my SIG...???

Just wondering if any other folks here have used this stuff and your opinions yea or nay-

Crashbox,

I have not loaded Longshot in pistols, but do shoot lots of it through shotguns. I belong to one of the few trap clubs in the country that is required to shoot non-toxic (steel) shot. Steel shot is less dense than lead so it takes up more room to get the same weight loads. More shot volume means less cushion for the peak pressures to crush. Hence, you need a slow burning powder to avoid peaking over pressure limits, but still get the velocity needed for steel shot. It does have a louder muzzle report than faster burning powders, as it has a longer pressure curve. If you use good hearing protection, you won't notice the difference in muzzle report.

The problem you'll have with Longshot is that it's DIRTY! You can get high velocity with lower than allowable peak pressures, but I don't think it's any better for your pistol. I believe the amount of energy in a load is more important for gun wear than the amount of pressure in the barrel.

I've loaded about a dozen different powders in 9mm & 45ACP and have come to the conclusion that Hodgdon Titegroup is the cat's meow pistol powder for me. It's clean and doesn't seem to be the least bit sensitive to position in the case. It's burn rate makes it a really good powder for target/plinking loads. Titegroup is all I load in pistols...

FWIW,

Wayne

Thanks for the information and sharing your experience, Wayne. Much appreciated.

I did notice some smudging due to insufficient sealing (low pressure) but when I got the loads around 7.2-plus grains they cleaned up. I'll definitely keep an eye on the cleanliness or lack thereof-

True, higher velocities will wear a barrel faster (.220 Swifts don't last very long at all!); I do like the lower pressures of it, though. My SIG has not as much meat around the chamber as my GP100 has, that's for sure!

I definitely agree, TiteGroup is a superb powder; I have almost 16 pounds of it for use in my .357 Magnum plinking loads. TiteGroup is truly fantastic for medium-strength rounds.

True, higher velocities will wear a barrel faster (.220 Swifts don't last very long at all!); I do like the lower pressures of it, though.

I was thinking more in terms of wear and tear on the frame and slide from the battering effects of shooting higher velocity (energy) loads.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Crashbox

True, higher velocities will wear a barrel faster (.220 Swifts don't last very long at all!); I do like the lower pressures of it, though.

I was thinking more in terms of wear and tear on the frame and slide from the battering effects of shooting higher velocity (energy) loads.

Wayne

Oh, yeah, that too laugh I think my brain took the day off. The accelerated frame and slide wear from the sizzlers was in the back of my mind but never made it to my typing fingers... D'oh!

I should probably state that my main reason for reloading .40 is to replicate the recoil and muzzle report of self-defense ammo.

I think I'll provide a range update on this stuff.

I bumped the charge to 7.5 grains and shot 70 rounds of these using 180-grain FMJ Montana Gold bullets. Recoil was quite manageable and the accuracy tightened up as well, in fact I found it impressive.

I think I just found my pet load for my SP2022!

• 4 years later...