Practically Shooting

Hey Bill! I bought a lower...

CamuMahubah

Lower parts kit.

Then if you want a different type of grip.

Stock with buffer tube.

Then an upper assembly.

A few mags (more is better)

And then ammo and your set. t-up

I just picked Midway just because they do have the parts and its late at night, just got home after driving in ice fog for the last 35 miles of the commute and I'm tired sleep . But plenty of places (prob at a lower cost too) to check out. But those are the parts you are going to need.

Now you need to figure out what type of stock, upper and barrel you need/want.

Love the AR platform! grin

Take care, Bill

Awesome thanks man! I'm taking the wife out to eat for lunch. Free because we own the place! And when I get back I'll say some more about what style we want.

I'm gonna try and find out what the Army uses in Basic Training because my little brother is considering joining and asked if we could build something like that.

I have no idea what they are using...

Oh yah guys, any of you besides Bill who has built one of these things...be sure to chime in. I'm gonna do it step-by-step and posts pics here at Practically Shooting. I'm hoping it will turn out nice and be a benefit for the site.

Thanks Bill, for the links, and be prepared to answer questions in the coming weeks. grin

Stay Tuned For More Epsidoes of "The Backwoods Hillbilly From Nebraskastan Builds A Black Rifle!"

Oh yah this is the one I bought.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-Semi-Auto-Stripped-Lower-Receiver-509

It's mil-spec whatever that means.

So I'm gonna order the DPMS stuff you linked me to but first I want you, Bill or anybody that knows, to look at at that lower and tell me if the mil-spec requires any different part kits. Right now I'm ready to order!

UPDATE: I called shop that's about 55 miles away because I remembered talking to the guy at the last gun show. He had a bunch of AR's already built and parts needed to build them. I thought I'd give him a call and see if he had any of these parts I needed as I like to buy local when I can.

Turns out he is a DPMS dealer and has everything, same price as Midway! Except for the upper, which we will have to negotiate. I did tell him about the DPMS upper on Midway for $399 and he says he can sell me basically the same thing for that price.

So I'm set like a jet! It'll be Tuesday before I can get down there to pick up the parts.

In the meantime guys I'm thinking I'll need to start rounding up some tools and finding some good online how-to sources.

Here we go...

Quite an interesting website. This guy has a 1300 yd prairie dog kill and a 1500 yd coyote kill. Also a member or Nebraska National Guard serving in Irag and a member of the Nebraska shooting team.

http://tanneryshop.com/

Seems like things are lining up nice! I had no idea who this guy was just remember he had a few AR parts when I went to the local guns show almost a year ago.

Darn I was just there in that town yesterday but we were on a totally different mission. I figured after I bought the lower the wife wouldn't really tolerate any more gun stores and I had to turn her loose at Wal-mart. I dislike Wal-mart with a passion but they do have .40 S&W really cheap!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p...amp;output=html BCM products are the best you can get. I have ben through 6 ARS since my first one in 1976 3 Colts operated perfectly, 1 oly build POS I sold it quick and 2 builds with BCM uppers Awesome like the old Colts. Milspec is what you want I have a build on a CMMG lower it works !!!

A mil spec lower is just that.you can buy milspec parts and they will fit. CMMG is mil spec. Now the extention can be mil spec or commercial for the collapsing stock and the plastic buttstock dia. Again the milspec is a stronger design by the way the threads are done where it screws into the lower reciever . Magpul has a discription of both

LOL guys one of my favorite video games from the early nineties used to scream that from the mono television when my step-brother and I would play late into the night...

Ahhh...good times!

Building this AR is the best thang I've done in awhile. I feel like a little kid at Christmas and darn if ain't almost Christmas!

So I took my stripped lower to Gering and had William at the Tannery Shop put the DPMS parts in it and install a stock.

That cost me $150. I wanted to watch the parts installation and take some pictures but the wife kept calling on the cell phone telling me to come pick her up, so I just left the lower at the shop. When I got back after picking her up from the salon(wish I woulda left her there!) William had the parts kit in the lower and the stock on the gun.

CMMG Lower $150

DPMS Lower Parts Kit $55

Tapco Mil-Spec Stock $88

LMT Barrel + Colt Upper $500

PMAGS and Detachable Carry Handle on the way!

William put it together this morning for me and test fired right in his shop in a barrel made for that purpose. He lubed the gun with Hoppe's gun grease and told me to clean the barrel after every shot for the first 50 rounds. Also, gave me a target for sighting the gun in at 25m.

I lost my other pics(my wife moved them which disabled the links). So I threw them all back up.

I'll post more tomorrow and I still have questions Bill!

I should also say William was very busy at the time when I asked him about barrel break-in and he told me that the manufacturer recommends something like cleaning the barrel after every shot for the first 50 but he felt I was good to go for 250 rounds before cleaning or lubing the gun.

The guy's been in the Army National Guard since 1990and has been to Iraq so I think he knows his way around the AR platform so I'm going to heed his advice. Especially after what I have been reading or AR15. com and Glock Talk.

And when William made that recommendation to me he knew the gun was built for killing bowling pins and not a match target rifle.